Chapter 22

"What?" The word was out of Klaus' mouth before he could stop it.

"Thats impossible, Mother. Vampires cannot have children" Rebekah said. She would know. For centuries she wished she could have a family of her own.

"Your brother is no ordinary vampire" Esther reminded kindly. "I have been watching over all of you from the other side, and I can sense the power coming from her. She is a part of our family"

Vulnerability was shown on Klaus' face despite his efforts to hid it. Tears were still visible in his eyes. "Whatever you saw on the other side was a lie. I do not have time to deal with such foolish beliefs, no matter who they come from. I would know if I had an 18 year old child"

"Niklaus-" Elijah started

"No. I dont want to hear it, Elijah." Klaus said before walking out of the room, thoughts flooding through his mind.

Hope watched him go and took a step back from the rest of her family.

"So you are truly Niklaus' child?" Rebekah questioned. "I suppose that explains why you do everything he asks of you. But how would we not know Niklaus could have children?"

"Because he can't have kids until he broke his curse" Hope said finally

"But he only did that a couple of months ago. Wait- Are you from the future? How can that be possible?"

"A spell"

"I suppose mother is far from the first witch to dabble in black magic" Kol said, relaxing on the couch now that Klaus was gone. "Though I've studied magic for centuries and have never heard of anyone moving throughout time"

"Neither had I before I was suddenly back in time before I was even conceived. And I was trying to keep anyone from finding out"

"Well as long as you don't try to dagger me in a box or get anyone else to do it, we should be fine. Are you trying to get back to your time?"

"Of course. I mean part of me wants to stay, but I need to get back" Hope said

"I could help" Kol offered. "I have helped other witches create spells before"

"Trying to get rid of me already?" Hope teased.

He chuckled a bit. "Just trying to ensure your existence since you seem far more tolerable than your father. Even if you did shock me"

"In my defense, you were attacking my dad" Hope pointed out, noticing that Esther was leaving the room. She would talk to her later. And she definitely had words to say. "Excuse me" she said and headed up to Klaus' art room, knowing that was likely where he went. She hesitated before knocking on the door.

"Whoever it is, I am not in the mood to talk" Klaus said.

Despite his words, Hope cracked the door open and peered her head through. "It's me"

Klaus' face faltered, and he lowered his paint brush before turning to face her. "Hope" he said, his voice both gentle and closed off if that was possible. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Hope fully stepped inside and closed the door behind her, lifting out a soft sigh before turning to face him again. "It was dangerous for me to. Everything depended on me keeping it a secret. The future. All of it"

Klaus stepped towards her, emotions swimming in his eyes. "I couldn't believe it. Not at first. It seems impossible. And... terrifying to think I could have a child. And I'm still moments away from going back to thinking this is all a deception. Some plot used to lower my defenses"

"Its not" Hope said gently, approaching him.  She put her hand on him, only for him to pull away. She tried not to let it bother her as she stepped back to give him space.