Chapter 28: Destiny is a Funny Thing

A/N:  This chapter is the calm before the storm.

============================================

The next morning after her return, Chiara headed to Zuko's quarters and knocked on the door. As soon as he saw her, he took her hand, pulled her inside his room, and wrapped his arms around her.

"I'm so sorry," he said softly. "I wanted to tell you that before you went to bed last night, but Uncle didn't want me to disturb you." He released her from his embrace, but his hands rested on her arms. He refused to break contact with her as he gazed into her eyes cherishing what he had missed for several days. "I never should've left you outside that tavern." His voice reflected the remorse he felt. "I promise I'll never do that again."

She always understood his desire to return home to the Fire Nation, and she tried to make his banishment less burdensome over the years, but she was hurt that he did not trust her instincts. "No, you won't," she said, "because next time we're at port, I'm staying with the General."

"Fair enough," he conceded, feeling sorry for breaking her trust.

Though it was early in the morning, he appeared tired to her. "You look exhausted," she said lightly touching his cheek which sent chills through his body. "Didn't you sleep?"

"I got a little."

"Too little by the looks of it..."

He took her in his arms again and held her enjoying the feel of her body against his. He had missed her too much—even her motherly doting, and he was afraid if he let go of her she would no longer be there and he would wake up on a ship devoid of her presence after another fruitless search. When he finally released her, he tenderly moved some curls as he caressed her face still trying to prove to himself she was really there. His eyes were drawn to the cut above her temple.

"You were injured," he said.

She tenderly ran her fingers over the wound she had forgotten to ask Katara to heal after the waterbender discovered her new ability. "The pirates," she said softly.

His eyes narrowed, and she could sense his anger rising.

"It's okay," she said, relieved that Katara had healed the bruise on her cheekbone. She also decided to keep silent about the bruising she discovered on her arms from the pirates' rough treatment. "I'm home now."

Her gentle smile set his heart on fire. He caressed her face and his soft touch brought back memories of the previous night. Chiara could feel her heart racing as she was lost in his fiery eyes, and Zuko could feel his heart pounding against his chest. His fingers slid over her cheek and down her neck as he leaned closer to her desiring to relive his moments as the Blue Spirit...

A knock at the door interrupted their reenactment and reminded them both of where they were.

"Prince Zuko," said Iroh looking inside. "Chiara, you're here. Good."

"She was injured," said Zuko as he turned her towards Iroh and tenderly moved her hair from the cut.

"It's healing," she said softly.

Iroh looked at it. "I can send for some ointment."

"It'll be okay."

"You look a bit flushed," he said touching her cheek. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she said wishing her racing heart would slow down.

They knelt down around the table as one of the crewmen entered and set a tray of food down before them.