seven.

"WHAT DO YOU SAY WE CELEBRATE OUR VICTORY?" ROOSTER ASKED with a boyish grin on his face as he, skye, and katia arrived back on base. 

skye smiled, taking her helmet off. "what do you have in mind, lieutenant?" 

he shrugged his shoulders. "couple drinks. on me!" he then laughed, hoping it would make them be more persuaded to agree. "hard deck, couple rounds, all on me. just the three of us hangin' out." 

katia made a sort of wince sound effect. "sorry, guys. fang and i are going there tonight." 

rooster gave her a look. "what?" his smile faded for a second before an idea came to him. "it's a double date, then!" 

skye almost choked on her own saliva. "it's a what?"

he laughed. "not like that, riot, just.. the four of us, then. all hanging out. just bros being bros."

she rolled her eyes. "okay, fine. if you don't mind us intruding, that is." she then directed to katia, who promptly shook her head. 

"no, i'm cool with you guys being there. jake said there might be more people too, i think hangman might show up." 

"jake." rooster mumbled mockingly, a playful smile on his face. "okay, yeah. it's a plan, then." with that, he headed for his own showers, leaving the two women to head to their lockers. 

katia gave skye a look. "it's a date?" she commented, bringing up rooster's previous word choice. 

the other girl groaned. "yeah, i know. why'd he have to say it like that?"

"because he doesn't see you as a sister anymore, i'm calling it right now." katia replied, dodging skye's hand as it reached out to hit her on the head. 

"you saying that isn't going to change anything."

she shrugged. "maybe not. i can still point it out, though."

skye, desperate to change the subject, rolled her eyes. "so, you and jake? do i get to finally talk to the guy today?"

katia then smiled. "yeah! yeah, i think he's been wanting to meet you. but it's kind of like.. meeting a dangerous parent. except, in all honesty, i'd probably be more afraid of meeting you." 

the other girl's brows furrowed. "what's that supposed to mean?"

"just that you're.. your standards are quite high, ri. and you're very likely to kill a man, so there's also that." 

this made skye grin. "i mean i guess i can't disagree with you. however, you need to keep in mind that your dad is also an entire league of his own when it comes to gaining his approval." she looked to see katia's confused glance. "he's iceman kazansky. i'd shit my pants if i didn't think he'd like me."

"then it's a good thing you're practically family." the other girl said, and it was true. skye loved her father, she loved maverick fiercely. but her broken family she'd grown up with (herself, her father, katia, and rooster) was a complete contrast to katia's more stable mother, father, and two siblings. they accepted skye as almost another child, and would often take care of her when maverick would be too busy with his work. 

skye had been there for katia when ice had first gotten diagnosed with throat cancer, and it had been hard on the whole family. they'd both been in school at the time, and were only relieved to hear that he could still speak, and then even more relieved when it was able to be treated. katia would never admit it, but she almost constantly worried about the cancer coming back. 

"are you two coming to the hard deck tonight?" phoenix asked, looking between katia and skye.

"yeah, it's a double date." katia smirked, this time unable to dodge the sock that skye threw at her face.