Chp.23 | Mission:Stop the Confession

It had been a day since the last incident. The one in which Xiao ended up telling Hisso the truth about how he felt. Today was the day, right? A girl was going to confess to Venti...and Venti would undoubtedly accept it.

It was upsetting to think about, but then again, Xiao knew he never had a chance in the first place. It was just a matter of time before Venti found out the actual reason why Xiao acted the way he did around him. He was scared, but at the same time, he was frustrated over it.

His mother was probably at work right now, so he'd better get a move on if he doesn't want to be late.

-

He made his way downstairs before he heard loud yelling. He stopped in his tracks, turning around.

"Xiao, you need to wake me up in the morning! I missed my alarm and now I'm late to work because of you." Well, so much for not being late to school.

"Sorry, mother. I thought you were already at work."

His mother came into the living area, "Are you back talking right now?!" She asked. Well, maybe Xiao should've worded it better.

"No, sorry." Xiao furrowed his eyes away until a harsh force gripped his jaw. She was forcing him to look at her.

Why did he have to deal with this so early in the morning? It was humiliating, he really hated it. He felt bad for his mother, but at the same time, he wondered if this was dismissable because of things in the past.

"I have class, I don't want to trouble you by being late." His expression had been completely monotone. It's like he didn't even mind all this. Or, maybe it was just because he was so used to it.

He knew that wasn't the best look, but it was just the truth. It didn't bother him much at all. All he did was blame it on his biological father.

"Tch." His mother let out, pushing Xiao away from her as she let go of his jaw. He quickly bowed as he walked out the door.

He honestly didn't want to go to school today. There wasn't much reasoning behind it, just that he knew he couldn't handle seeing someone else and his crush holding hands with each other. Maybe that was just selfish. He couldn't even tell if he was overreacting at this point.

-

And just like that, he was at the gates of the school. He was about to walk in before practically getting tackled from behind. "Xiao, Xiao!" A voice called.

He turned, noticing that it was Hisso. Some other girls were glaring at the girl for getting so close to Xiao, but she seemed to pay no mind. "We need to talk!--Again." Xiao stayed silent for a moment. Was she still trying?

Then, he let out a small sigh. "Fine, let's talk."

"Not here! Uhm—come on!" She grabbed Xiao's hand, bringing him out to the courtyard. No one came here.

"So, what is it?"

She poured slightly before giving her response," Look, I know you don't really like me right now..and that you're also upset, but, you can't just keep running away from this forever."

Xiao felt awkward, but Hisso continued. "I know you don't know me that well, but I think you should tell Venti how you feel. Otherwise, you'll just end up feeling worse." For once, she'd actually given helpful advice.

"He'll just end up rejecting me—won't that make me feel worse too?"

"To get over someone, you have to confess to them first. Otherwise, you'll be stuck thinking of possibilities."

That actually seemed..logical? Xiao stayed quiet, "You don't get it. How am I even supposed to confess if I'm too scared to?"

Hisso smiled, "That's why I'm here;" She began, "to help you out."

She got on her phone for a second, "Since Rita said she's confessing today—we don't have much time."

Xiao paused, "Who's Rita?"

"Rita Rosewensi, the one confessing to Venti. She's pretty popular. Actually, I'm pretty sure she's talked about you before." Hisso began to mutter.

"Ahh.." Xiao's eyes furrowed off to the side. Was she talking bad about him or good?

Hisso sighed, "I guess she moved on." She looked back to Xiao," Well, we just have to do everything we can to stop that confession!"

Then, the bell ringing could be heard in the distance. "Ah, the bell! Let's go, we can't be late." Hisso stated, grabbing Xiao's arm as they quickly made their way towards their class.

Xiao couldn't even get a word out, as he was practically held on a collar.

-

He really wasn't sure what to think about all of this. Was he really going to confess? To a straight man? He already knew the outcome of all this, and he wasn't looking forward to it in the slightest.

But, maybe this would work out for him. Even if Venti and Xiao didn't get to be together, Xiao would at least be able to get over him. But he wondered, why did Hisso want Rita to not confess so badly?

By the looks of it, Hisso was pretty unpopular. The total opposite of Rita, as she described it. He wondered how she even got added to those group chats.

Well—that wasn't important. He should be focusing on other things now.

Like how this was all going to play out.

WORD COUNT: 915