Twenty-Four

"My babysitter's a vampire," Mike breathed as we hid in the Byers' household.

Yes, after arriving Steve and I gave everyone who didn't know my secret a quick explanation. I'm a vampire, yaddie, yaddie, yaddie, yah. Joyce - who locked herself in her room - is more worried about Will and didn't mind but the only one who did is Hopper. He had me sit in the kitchen, away from everyone else besides Steve, while he held a makeshift wooden cross in front.

"Sam Owens," he tried to make a report over the phone while holding the cross up. "Dr. Sam Owens...I don't know how many people are there! I don't know how many people are left alive!"

Steve leaned over and whispered, "Does he know that doesn't do anything to you?"

I shook my head. "No, but if it somehow makes him feel safer then sure."

"I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper!" Hopper yelled. "Yes, the number I gave you, yes...6767...I will be here." He then slammed the phone.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin asked.

"We'll see."

"Which means no," I piped up.

Hopper pointed the cross at me. "Don't think you're off the hook, too!"

"I'm only stating the obvious because they're not gonna come and those things are still on the loose."

Hopper glared at me. "We stay here, and we wait for help."

"Can't you compel him?" Dustin asked me.

I shook my head. "No, can do. You guys aren't the only ones I spiked vervain with."

"Ver - what?" Hopper asked.

"Vervain. Something that harms vampires." I got up. "And we're safe for now. The Demogorgans aren't anywhere near the house."

"And you know this because of your superhearing?"

"Perks of being a vampire." Hopper held the cross up as I got near. I rolled my eyes as I quickly snatched it and broke it. "These things don't work."

"How about a gun to the head?"

"You can try, but no."

I could hear Hopper's heart pumping. The sound of his blood flowing through his veins. My eyes glanced at his neck as I could practically feel his blood pumping. I'm starting to get hungry again.

"Are you serious?" Steve asked. "You're really threatening her after she helped us out? After she got you out?"

"Steve, it's fine," I reassured him. "His reaction isn't any different from most people." I glanced toward Joyce's room and heard her sobbing. "But I'm not the one he should be focusing on right now."

Hopper turned his head. My eyes widened when I caught a whiff of his blood. I closed my eyes as I heard his retreating footsteps, but that doesn't stop the veins from appearing under my bloodshot eyes as my fangs came out. I gripped the chair as I took deep breaths.

"Woah, woah, woah," I heard Steve before he grabbed my arm and helped me sit down. "Hey, Bels. Bels?"

"I'm getting hungry, Steve," I said before opening my eyes. 

"What? Now?" I nodded. Steve looked at the kids, who were watching us. "Stay here."

"What's happening?" Mike asked as Steve pulled me away from them.

"Bels been on the bunny diet for years," Dustin informed him.

Lucas added, "She had her first drop of human blood tonight so it's like...her addiction is coming back."

Steve opened the front door and pulled me outside. Once the door closed, I grabbed him and pinned him to the closes tree. Immediately, my fangs sunk into his neck. My eyes closed in pure bliss as I gripped his shoulders. Steve's hand went to the back of my head as he tilted his head.

"You're ok, you're ok," he whispered. I could hear his heart getting weaker. "Ok, I think you've had enough." I ignored him as I continued to drink. "Bels. Bels? You can stop. Bela?" I felt this burning sensation at the side of my face. I hissed in pain as I latched myself off Steve and took a few steps back. Steve was panting as he held the vervain necklace I gave him up.

"Oh, shit. I'm sorry, Steve," I panicked. I rushed over and got a look at his neck. Steve was holding on to the side as he used his free hand to put the necklace back on. "Oh, god, I can't believe I did that."

"It's ok," he panted.

I shook my head. "No, no, it's not. I almost...I could have killed you." I tilted his head. "I knew this would happen. Why...Why would you let me do that?"

"Because it was either me or everyone in the house."

I shook my head at him again. I felt veins crawling from under my eyes as I bit into my wrist. I held it up in front of his face. "Here."

He pushed my hand away. "No."

"Steve, don't be stubborn and drink. I don't want you passing out or dying on me." I held it up again and gave him a pleading look. "Please."

Steve used his free hand and grabbed my wrist, his eyes not looking away from me. His heartbeat is spiking as I could feel his hand shake. Then Steve did something I'd never expect him to do. He leaned down and collided our lips together. My eyes widened in surprise as he released my wrist to cup my cheek. I brought my hand up to push him away but, instead, I found myself enjoying it. Closing my eyes, I started to kiss back as my hand lay on his shoulder. Steve's kiss is more gentle than Billy's. He isn't too rough or has that lingering smell of cigarettes. And Steve knows my secret. He knows I can kill him at any moment but he still...he still kissed me. What does this mean though? Did he have feelings for me all this time? Is he doing this to distract me? Did I drink so much of his blood he didn't know what he was doing?

He was the first to pull away. His eyes flickered to mine to see if I had a look of regret but all I could do is look at him in wonder.

"We should, um," he began. His cheeks started to tint. "We should head inside."

"Steve," I called out as he walked around me. I looked back to see him holding his neck as he quickly walked back. I sped up behind. "Wait, Steve, we need to talk about this."

"Talk? Talk about what?" he asked as he didn't meet my gaze. "What I need is gauze and some disinfectant."

We just arrived at the door when it swung open and Mike rushed out, "I know how to stop Dart."