19: New beginnings

"Turn around! Look at what you see! In her face, the mirror of your dreams! Rhymes that keep their secrets will unfold behind the clouds!" Max and Lucas sang together, Alex was laughing beside them as they imitated Dustin's impromptu karaoke from the mall, they still hadn't let him live it down.

Dustin sat across from the trio with an unamused expression, glaring at the pair singing.

"Wait, did we get that verse right? It's unfold behind the clouds?" Max questioned, making Alex laugh harder.

"Yeah, but your butchering it, so could you please stop?" Dustin pleaded, hating everything in those moments.

"So then join in, Dusty-bun!" Alex joked, blowing him an air kiss as she leant back into Max, the girl sitting slightly in front of her.

"Yeah, come on Dusty-bun, why don't you join us?" Lucas mocked, also blowing Dustin a kiss to annoy the boy.

"You guys are so funny," Dustin said sarcastically, "You should be on Carson,"

"Can't we just hear your rendition?" Max begged, still mad she didn't hear the entirety in the mall.

"No!"

"Please, just one verse?" Max asked, smirking at the boy.

"No! no, it's reserved for Suzie's ears and Suzie's ears alone!" Dustin snapped, making Alex throw her head backwards dramatically, sighing causing Lucas and Max to laugh, sharing an expression before jumping back into the song.

~~

The sad part had come, they were loading the final boxes into the moving van, the house had been completely cleared and everyone was gathered outside, saying their goodbyes.

Alex hugged Joyce and Johnathan first, they were the easiest of the two, she then went to El, this would be tough. She wrapped her arms around the girl tightly, the other girl squeezing back as tears brimmed both of their eyes.

They puled away just to have tears streaming down both of their faces, Alex was El's first friend ever, that was a girl and El was the first girl that saw Alex as she is, without any of that popular shit. "Don't forget me aright, I'll call everyday if i have to, tell you everything about Hawkins even if it's boring," Alex choked, El nodded, unable to form words. 

Alex let the others go to El as she walked over to Will, this would be the hardest, Will was literally her first friend in Hawkins. She wrapped her arms around the boys neck as he put his on her waist, both hugging tightly. They rested their foreheads on each other, Alex smiled remembering a joke they made a year ago, if they were both into the opposite sex the two would be a pretty good couple, it seemed Will had the same thought as he smiled lightly, "We would rule everyone," he joked, his voice breaking.

Alex nodded, crying onto his shirt, "I love you," she whispered, holding him, he held her tighter, both of them absolute messes.

"I know, I love you too." He sobbed, the pair pulling away from each other as Johnathan put a hand on his shoulder signalling it was time to leave.

Alex clung onto Max, teary eyes as the moving van drove away, Joyce's car just in front of it. The whole party was sobbing lightly, watching until the car disappeared over the hill.

They all mounted their bikes and left the house, Alex pushed down her sadness, tears still falling from her face.

Will was gone and High School was starting, It's officially the end of an era.