Chapter 8

I stand there, completely in shock by Chris's words. Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have suspected that Mateo is involved in any illegal activity -- let alone the Mafia. As I stand there, looking at Chris speechless, Mateo is just staring at me, trying to hold my hand as I keep it right by my side.

"Oh well, um this is awkward. Seems that your girlfriend may not be aware of all your business, Mateo. Better start explaining," Chris says as he finishes his drink, getting up from his chair. Once he gets up, he pats Mateo on the back and chuckles as he walks away. Once he leaves, I slowly look at Mateo, unsure of what to do. I don't want to walk out and make a big scene -- yet I'm in complete shock. I look in his eyes and see that he's scared; but I don't understand why. Isn't people in the Mafia suppose to be fearless? At least, that's how it is in the movies and tv shows (I'm a huge mafia fan, I always tuned into the new episodes of Mob Wives when it was airing on tv).

"Mateo, I'm not too sure what he means by 'Mafia King'," I say as a make air quotations with my fingers. Mateo now looks at me, grabbing my hand and encasing it with his two hands as he holds it up to his lips.

"Okay okay listen, I know this sounds bad but I promise, I'm not a bad person. Please just, come outside and listen to me. For five minutes," He says with pleading eyes, making sure to never take his eyes off of me. I slowly take my hand back and walk towards the door. I turn around slowly and see that Mateo is walking up behind me, trying to hold my hand but I keep snatching it back. Once we get outside, we walk towards the side of the building into these beautiful gardens. I decide to walk through them, as I'm a huge flower fan and Mateo is just following me to talk. After a few minutes of silence, I decide to speak up.

"Well, you wanted to explain yourself once we got outside, so go ahead," I say as I bend down and smell a flower. It's a pink chrysanthemum, one of my favorite flowers. As I start to stand up, Mateo grabs my hands, making sure I don't fall. Once I'm standing, he doesn't let go of my hand.

"Okay, well first I appreciate you for not freaking out. I'm sure that was shocking news," He says looking at me with a weak smile. I just nod, not really knowing what to say.

"I want to explain myself... to make sure you know that I'm not a bad person. I grew up in this lifestyle, the Mafia. My father was head of the Italian Mafia -- the main boss that everyone reported too. I didn't want to end up in this lifestyle, truly. Once I finished high school, I started college and graduated, then I started the company. But a few years into the company, my father passed away suddenly -- died from natural causes..." Mateo says, trailing off and looking towards the ground. I can tell that talking about his father is hard for him, so I give his hand a squeeze and look at him with a small, weak smile.

"I'm sorry about your Father, it sounds like you were close with him."

"I was, he was a great guy. But once he passed away, a guy from his Mafia contacted me, saying that I was the new boss. If I choose to leave, it could be a threat to my safety. After that, I started working with them. I decided to continue the company, since it was something I built by myself and I didn't want to lose it; and I did the Mafia on the side. The Italian Mafia is one of the strongest in the world -- so that's kinda why everyone calls me the 'Mafia King'," He says looking at me, rubbing his neck with his free hand. Now I'm kneeling again by another flower; this time it's a yellow balloon flower.

"I understand why you did it, you didn't want to disappoint your father. Plus, your safety was at risk," I say as I smell the flower. Luckily we are in this garden, because plants always seem to calm my nerves and relax me.

"You're right, I didn't. But I promise you, Toni, I'm not a bad person nor someone you should fear," He says as he kneels next to me, placing his hand on my cheek and bringing my face towards his. I look at him, and all I see are his pleading eyes. Telling me to believe him, to not fear him. I smile weakly.

"I'm not scared; I've worked for you for four years, you don't scare me. I just don't understand why you live this double life," I quietly say. After a minute of silence, I think of a question. Although I don't think I want the answer. "Have you ever killed someone?" Mateo sighs, looking at me with his usual stone cold face.

"Yes, I have. All were justifiable deaths -- but ones that had to be done," He says as he looks away, looking off into the garden. I sit on the ground, silent. I'm not too sure what to say. I never would have expected to meet someone from his type of life; especially one that has killed people. After a few minutes, I stand up and start walking towards a bench. Mateo follows, sitting down next to me.

"Toni, are you mad?"

"No, just shocked I think. I never expected this to happen."

"I understand, it's not easy. I promise you though, I will never hurt you or anyone in the company. Once I walk through those office doors, I'm strictly about the business. I leave my Mafia life behind."

After a minute, I say, "I respect that. It's your life and after all, I am just your employee."

After I say that, I hear Mateo say under his breath, "But I'd like you to be more," but I decide to not address it. After all, tonight has been nothing like I expected and I cannot imagine going into that conversation. A few minutes later, we decide to head into the building again and attend the gala. 

The rest of the night was good, I met a few of his close friends and the food was amazing. Who knew that Mafia people eat like royalty? Anytime I watch Mob Wives, they are eating regular people food like you and I eat. After the food is eaten, the auction starts. As promised, I "won" Mateo... making sure that nobody else got his date. When the auctioneer announced that I won, Mateo smiled at me and mouthed the words thank you, me nodding back. Once that was finished, we decided to leave since we do have work tomorrow.

In the car, Mateo was pretty quiet and so was I. Honestly, I wasn't too sure about what to think; it's a lot to take in. I can't imagine going to work tomorrow knowing that my boss is also a Mafia King. Maybe that's why he's so emotionless, because he's the Mafia. I'll never know though -- since I don't plan on asking anymore questions. Once we get to my apartment, Mateo grabs my hand and smiles softly.

"Can you not tell anyone about what you found out tonight, please? I'd hate for people to start acting different," He says with the same pleading eyes I saw earlier tonight. I smile softly, knowing that it's not my place to ruin his life and everything he built.

"I won't. Thank you for tonight, I had a great time," I say with a small smile. Mateo gets out the car and opens the door for me, grabbing my hand so I don't fall. Then he walks me up to the door and plants a small kiss on my cheek, before I walk inside.

"Goodnight Toni."

Once I get inside, Catalina is already sleeping -- which is unusual for her but it is what it is. Honestly, I don't think I could face her tonight knowing the information I know. I get undone from my night, put on pajamas, then drift off the sleep.

----------

The next morning is like any other morning: I take a shower, do my hair and makeup, get dressed, make breakfast, and then leave for work. Except, as I'm making breakfast, I get a knock on the door. When I open it, a man is standing there with a beautiful bouquet of pink chrysanthemums and yellow balloon flowers.

"Deliver for Antonella García?" The delivery man says. Once I nod my head, he has me sign for the flowers, then leaves. I look at the flowers, taking in their beauty -- then I read the card attached.

You looked beautiful last night; thank you. See you at work Toni.

-

-

-

Author's note:

Hey everyone; first: thank you so much for 26 views -- means the world to me!

So, longer chapter... how do we feel?

How are we feeling about Mateo's confession? Do we believe him or is there more to it? Also, do you think Antonella will go on another date with Mateo? Let me know!

I appreciate everyone for continuing to read... it means so much to me!

xoxo,

Ashley