~Long Ago (Edaline and Jolie)~ (platonic angst)

I've decided to stop writing all ships and start writing some other things exploring not-so-happy emotions within the character off KOTLC.

Starting off with Edaline's grief! As someone who was gone through grief and is still going through it as we speak, this was something I really wanted to write about, or at least try to.

This is my first time trying to write something like this, so constructive criticism is appreciated!

Thanks, everyone! Here ya go!

________________________________________________________________________________

✩Edaline's POV✩

"Mommy!" a small, soft voice called from her bedroom. I kissed Grady on the cheek before running upstairs to check on Jolie.

Jolie was lying in the middle of her bed, her limbs sprawled outwards like a little starfish. She looked up at her ceiling with big, turquoise eyes with a pouty look on her face.

"Hi, sweetie, are you okay?" I asked, sitting down on the bed with Jolie in front of her legs. She gazed up at me, now grinning from ear to ear sweetly.

"I'm hungry!" she exclaimed, getting up and sitting down next to me, turning towards me with sparkling eyes.

I chuckled. "Alright, we'll get you some food." I picked Jolie up by the legs, to which she heavily protested.

"Heyyyy, putt me downnn!" she whined.

"No!" I retorted playfully, taking Jolie's legs and carrying them down the stairs to the kitchen. Jolie was cackling loudly when I flipped her upright and I set down on her favorite chair, a light purple one with silver trimmings.

I tucked a strand of her long blonde hair behind her ear, squatting down to look her in the eye. "Do you want to make something?" I asked her. Her turquoise eyes shined with delight as she bounced off her chair towards the cupboard.

"Yes, yes, yes!" she chanted in a singsong tone, grabbing her purple chef hat Grady gave her for her birthday and some flour. "Let's make custard bursts!"

I smiled at my daughter, who was flipping through my recipe book to get to her favorite dessert already. Jolie jumped down from the counter and grabbed a basket of fresh gnome fruits, spreading them out on the table.

"First we need flour in a bowl," she ordered me to do. I happily obliged, pouring a cup of flour into the mixing bowl and tossing in some white chocolate chips- Jolie's favorite flavor.

"Now these!" Jolie handed me some bright yellow dinosaur eggs with brown speckles. As I cracked the eggs into the bowl, a little voice yelped as white powder doused my head.

"Sorry!!" Jolie apologized, dropping the bag of flour. "I was just trying to put it away!"

I smirked at Jolie deviously, before picking up the flour and dunking the rest onto her head. Jolie giggled, tossing a handful of flour right into my eyes.

"Arghh!" I said, rubbing my stinging eyes and rushing to the sink to wash them with water. JOlie snickered behind me wickedly.

"You little gremlin!" I teased, ducking under another fistful of flour, scooping her up and cracking one of the dinosaur eggs onto her blonde head.

"Hey, that's cheating!!" Jolie cried indignantly, cracking her own dinosaur egg onto my shirt.

"Oh god, the kitchen's a mess now," I sighed, though honestly as I looked at my beautiful daughter with twinkling eyes, I couldn't have cared less.

"I'll clean her up," Grady offered, picking up his daughter in his strong arms and taking her upstairs to the bathtub.

"Thanks, honey!" I called to Grady, who blew me a kiss and charged upstairs, yelling something incoherent with Jolie shouting along.

I sighed happily, leaning on the flour covered counter. Nothing could be more perfect than it was now. 

I woke up in a cold sweat, beads of it dripping down my back as I sat up in bed, whirling my head around to check my surroundings. Tears of grief brimmed my eyes and made them looked glazed with sadness. Grady rested quietly behind me, holding me in his arms comfortingly, like he did whenever he was worried I was going to have another one of these dreams.

And he was right.

I sobbed into my blanket, tears spilling out of my eyes as the dream replayed in my head. The warped smiles of Jolie. Her blurry turquoise eyes shining with delight. Her distorted giggles I kept hearing, over and over again like a broken record. I felt like I was suffocating, just lying there with Grady's arms around me. I needed to get some fresh air.

I crawled out of Grady's embrace, careful not to wake him as I tiptoed towards Jolie's old room. Closing the door to her room and letting the darkness of the night fully take over the closed room with the only light coming from the faintly lit stars in the sky, I leaned against the door and sat down, pressing my back against the wall as I buried my turquoise eyes that resembled Jolie's into my hands. Tears pooled into my palms and flooded out onto my knees, but the only thing in my mind was Jolie's soft voice, giggling and talking and laughing, over and over again.