Chapter-35 Promise

Megha's POV

I am roaming alone in the party hall as Karthik is talking with his dad.

His words are still ringing in my ears, "benefits of being a woman" making me restless.

I replied to him, and I stood for myself, but deep down, it hurt.
My so-called father always hurts me with his words or actions.

I know he didn't recognize me as he abandoned me when I was little, but I can't forget him.
And I am sure even if he knows I am his daughter, he will say those things.

I am overwhelmed by these thoughts. From my childhood onwards, I have been facing these embarrassing situations, hurtful words. I can't think straight after his words.

Nidhi was also not there as she went to my home to take care of my mom. Before Mr. Williams called me just to inform me that my mom was crying at home and the maid called him, telling it was getting hard for them to control her. I was going to go home, but Nidhi forced me to stay here and she went home to take care of her.

Karthik is also not there with me. The pain in me is not allowing me to relax. My heart is thumping and I am unable to concentrate on anything. My knees are getting weak and I am feeling dizzy. All the mockings, rumors, negative comments are ringing in my ears, making it hard for me to breathe. I want to stop this, but I am unable to. I felt like I was in a desert. I can't see anyone around me and all lights went off, making it dark. I am alone; I am alone in the dark in a fucking desert...

Where is everyone?

Someone caught me when I was about to collapse on the floor. I raised my lashes and saw a small light on his face.

"Are you ok, Megha?" Karthik asked me tensely, holding me tightly.

I am not ok but I can't find my voice to utter these words.

"Arjun, bring some water," Karthik roared, and that's when I saw our whole family there. Maa, uncle Roy, Anjali di, aunt Dhamini, Shyam, everyone was there. Soon, Arjun came running with a water bottle in his hand, followed by Mr. Williams and Sakshi.

Karthik gave me water, and I drank the whole bottle in one go. I know I have to use the washroom many times if I drink so much water, but what can I do? I am thirsty.

"Are you ok, princess?" Arjun asked this time. I looked at all of them. Tension is evident in their faces, making me realize I am not alone and I have my own family.

"I am alright," I replied and Karthik released a breath which he was holding.

After confirming I am alright, they left from there, leaving only Karthik and me.

"You are alright?" Karthik asked again to confirm still holding my waist.

"Yes, I am," I replied slowly.

I rested my head on his chest, inhaling his scent while he was caressing my hair. Surprisingly, it was calming me down.

Being like that for a few minutes, I came out from his hold and looked at his face, my eyes locked with his mesmerizing ones, and I forgot about everything for a second.
His face holds some expression that I can't name.

"Ms. Sehari", someone called me, bringing me back to this world. I left him and turned around to see who was that.

A smile made its way to my lips as soon as I saw the person.

"Congratulations, Sehari. Or can I call you Mrs. Roy?" he joked as he gave me a side hug.

"Thank you, Sanjay," I replied with a smile.