The Traveler

The crew were in outer space by the time , by the Plato began to relax a bit . The thrust was new to him and it took him some time to get adjusted to space travel , albeit all the training and simulation programs he has undergone. The rocket cruised at a very fast speed and the second stage separation was being planned by the crew below on earth . The second stage separation would involve the spaceship separating itself from the main rocket frame . The boosters would then return to earth , while the ship maintained its trajectory towards its destination . Two spaceships were on the mission . The mission was nicknames ' Planet Sergey ' . Down below Constantine stood still at the launch site and had to be removed from there by Romanov . They are long gone Constantine , what are you looking at , he asked the kid . Nothing sir, I was just making sure they are safe , he replied to his boss. Yes , you are doing a good job at that , replied Romanov sarcastically. The both of them walked into the control room where the director was busy looking at the big screen . He was generally nervous after a launch , but this time , he was more nervous as this was one of the most important missions of his career . Not only because of the number of people that were on this mission , but also the important set of eyes that were laying on him , From to Moscow to Tokyo . Romanov and Constantine walked towards the director and stood next to him . And watched the big screen along with their Director . Good launch said Peter to Romanov . Yes , it looks that way , replied Romanov . The screen displays Akimo . There , pointed the director at the Japanese . There is the most important asset to the mission . More than the success of the mission , we need this man to get back alive . And if he does not there will be serious complications between Moscow and them , the Director emphasized. The mission will be a success sir , Romanov guaranteed . And as the two important men of the plant were talking about the mission , another man who looked very important entered the mission control room . You could easily say that he was important just by laying your eyes on his shoulders . There were 3 stars on each of his shoulders . Good morning Mr. Anatoly said Peter . Good Morning Director , replied Peter . Anatoly was the minister of resources . without wasting any time the Minister got down straight to the point . They say you have a new resource at your hands , something that can provide infinite energy . Mr. Peter laughed. Surely not infinite sir , but yes , a new resource . And these people are on their way to get back a box of them ? asked the ageing yet formidable minister . Yes sir , but much more than a box . We are planning to extract and deliver a rather large shipment , relied Peter . And as the screen once again focuses on Akimo . And with Tokyo ? we are sharing the resource , asked the Minister . Looks that way sir, replied Peter . The minister did not respond to that . His face remained expressionless , without giving any hint of information . Are you staying for lunch , asked Peter . I certainly hope to , some other day , replied the minister. I have to be elsewhere in a short while , and it is very important that I do that , the minister said extending his hand for a handshaker . Good luck , he said to the director . Peter shook the hands of the minister , Thank you , he replies. 

Romanov , looked at Peter.  And Peter looked back at him and realized things were  getting too big  and complicated for the aging Russian. Sir, said Romanov . And with those words Peter could confirm that his worst fear was coming to life. Peter , said Romanov . I think I will go back to my village. It has been a long time since I have visited it . This is the first time you have called me be my name, said Peter.  Isn't it? asked Romanov who was surprised  by that fact. This is getting too serious for me sir, said Romanov. I know my friend , replied Peter. It is getting a bit too much for all of us , but it what it is , he said to his old friend. What are you going to do ? Peter asked Romanov. After all these years spending your life in the pursuit of , before Peter could finish his sentence , Romanov interrupted him. Pursuit of what ? asked Romanov. Pursuit of knowledge , replied Peter. Indeed , said Romanov. Constantine was busy observing the screen and was not aware of the gravity of the situation. Who is going to guide him now ? And who is going to guide more children like him , asked Peter. Romanov pointed at the screen . He will , said Romanov . Plato ? asked Peter who was surprised by Romanov's reply.  Yes , Plato , said Romanov confidently. And Sir, said Peter. I have failed more times than he ever will . That is a promise I make to you. 

Peter was still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that a kid is going to fill in the boots of a decorated war hero. A man who was instrumental in the space missions with a failure rate of less than 1 percent. I do not think so Romanov, that he can fill in you boots , he is just a kid, replied Peter. You do not believe me sir, and that is completely understandable , said Peter. But let us ask Constantine, and I have never seen him give an dishonest answer. Ok , you may ask , said Peter. 

Constantine , said Romanov. Who are you most inspired by , he asked the kid. Plato, answered Constantine without turning his head without his eyes still glued to the screen. There you go sir, said Romanov with a huge grin on his face. I do not understand , why ? asked Peter . I do not know sir, replied Romanov . And Peter, he said. There comes a time in a persons life when he cannot answer a question that is asked to him by a thousand men.  I did the mistake once, and I do not wish to commit the same mistake again. Peter was still trying to wrap his mind around it. And my friend , said Romanov , I suggest you to do the same. I'll try said Peter and turned his focus back to the screen . Now his focus was not on the mission , but on a certain individual. 

Plato.....

To be continued.