8 | SPILLED ALL OVER HIM |

Outer Banks, Thornton's house July 6th, 202011:52 am

July 6th, 2020
11:52 am

I headed out of my bedroom later than I usually did, and as I heard my mother's loud laughs downstairs and the birds warbling, a small smile grew on the corner of my lips. For a minute, I almost forgot how ever since I had arrived, I had been assaulted twice, and this awakening felt like a casual one during a normal summer in the Outer Banks. Memories from the previous night came back quickly though, and they hit harder than I thought they would.

I jogged downstairs, soon discovering the three people composing my family gathered around our dining table. They had big smiles on their faces, as I entered the room and sat next to my mother who pressed a butterfly kiss on the top of my head. "Hi darling, slept well?" she asked.

"Yeah," I simply replied grabbing the teapot to pour some of the warm liquid inside my cup. "I came back home late though, might need some more sleep"

My parents laughed, glancing at each other with a kind of nostalgic-envy gaze, just the way they usually did when Topper or I referred to things they used to do back when they were younger. I drank a sip of the tea and my mother placed her hand on my shoulder so I drew my attention on her.

"Summer holidays are meant to party and wake up late," she reassured me. "Enjoy it cause it won't last forever"

I gave her a small grin in response as Topper got up from his chair and walked over to the kitchen, silently. We heard him placing his cup of coffee and other dishes in the sink before walking away like somehow someone was going to do it for him, and he was right, our mother would, but it wasn't any less of an asshole move.

I felt a soft lick on my right ankle and when I looked down at my feet, I discovered my puppy excitedly rubbing his tongue against my warm skin. I discreetly cut a piece of my pancake and gave him some under the table, making sure my parents wouldn't see it since they wanted him to follow a strict and healthy alimentation.

"Do you have plans for today?" I asked them, focusing back on them like nothing had just happened.

"Your brother has a school sanctioned beach cleanup session today, and your mother and I are going to visit some old friends on the mainland," my father softly explained. "Wanna join us darling?"

I tilted my head to the side and pulled on my best fake smile, which I was sure Topper discerned as soon as he entered he room since he left out an uncontrolled laugh that sounded more like a scoff, so I threw him a quick scornful gaze. "No, thank you, I'll just stay here," I finally responded taking my eyes off my annoying brother.

"Fine but if you invite your friends over, no drinking and no partying," my father warned, his tone strict. "Mom told me last time those idiots broke grandma's vase"

I rolled eyes, bummed he didn't trust me for one single day alone. "Yes, Father"

"Hey, he didn't mean it like that," my mother intertwined. "We're just asking you to be more careful"