The chemistry of us - AU

Summary: You and Wanda have cultivated an enmity for a long time. But an exchange of partners in chemistry class changes this relationship completely.

Pronouns: not used || Warnings: enemies to lovers, high school, chemical burn (nothing serious) 

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

Of all the school subjects, chemistry, your favorite of all, was the last one you would expect to fail you. 

Classes have just started again and everyone is looking forward to meeting the new chemistry teacher. You're sitting with your lab bench mate and also your best friend, Natasha, when the classroom door opened and the whole room fell silent.

A woman with black hair and a stern expression enters the room and, as she places her things on the table, she smiles at the students. The teacher, who you soon discovered is called Mrs. Harkness, introduces herself as the new chemistry teacher and what is worse (and what caused a commotion in the whole classroom) says that she's going to change the bench partners.

Everyone grunted in displeasure, but Mrs. Harkness gave a whole speech about change being necessary since she's a new teacher and her methods would also be new. No one seemed very convinced, but when the woman started to announce the new pairs, the students started to stand up.

When she announces that Nat will sit with Bruce, the redhead smiles briefly and you frown. "You could at least pretend you wanted to continue with me." You complain, but show that you're not actually bothered so Nat chuckles, gathering her things from the countertop. "Well, he is my boyfriend."

"Oh yeah, and what happens to bros before hoes?" You joke and she laughs. "Well, you're not my bro and Bruce is not a hoe so..." She says getting up and you giggle. "Relax, you won't be with someone that bad." She tries to comfort you and you give a half smile, nodding.

As you watch Nat sit with Bruce, you hear Mrs. Harkness saying your name. "(Y/n) (Y/l/n) and Wanda Maximoff." She announces and you squeeze your eyes shut. "Shit." You grumble, burying your face in your hands and don't see the pitying looks Nat and Bruce cast at you.

"For your information, I didn't like that exchange at all either." You hear Wanda's irritated voice next to you as the brunette throws herself on the stool next to you. "Yeah, well I don't give a damn." You retort without looking at her and Wanda huffs, crossing her arms and saying nothing more.

The teacher talks about all the plans for the semester and how the assignments and tests will be, but all you can pay attention to is the anger emanating from Wanda that meets the anger emanating from you and forms a big tangle of anger that almost makes the air around you suffocating.

As soon as the bell rings, Wanda immediately gets up and rushes out of the room and you roll your eyes. This is going to be one hell of a semester.

-----

At break time, you find Nat and Bruce at one of the tables outside and neither of them seems to hold back a pitying expression. You don't blame them, if you could you would be looking at yourself with a pitying expression too.

"Not such a bad partner, huh?" you comment as you sit, making reference to what Nat told you earlier and the redhead flashes you an amused, pitying smile. "It's not my fault if the universe hates you." She jokes and you sigh in displeasure and nod without much enthusiasm.

It really seemed like the universe hates you by putting the person you hate the most (and also the person who hates you the most) to be your bench partner. But it wasn't always like that.

When you and Wanda were children you were best friends. In fact, it's more consistent to say that you were inseparable. Neither could do anything without the other.