4. "What did I miss?"

Chapter 4

Elena's POV

I barely closed my eyes when I heard the loud ringing of the doorbell. I groaned rolling on my bed ignoring it, hoping that whoever it was would go away. Probably one of our neighbors, bringing some of their leftovers from last night's dinner. But the doorbell kept on ringing, making my head throbbed.

I got out of bed slowly, like a zombie and checked the time at the digital clock on the bedside table. I sighed when I saw it was still six thirty in the morning.

After my grandpa called last night, my temper flared up at the thought of meeting Adonis Stavrakos. I tossed and turned on the bed. I found it hard to sleep anymore. I had to get out of the house and release my anger somewhere or I would go crazy.

I called my best friend/business partner, Camella, who lived just a block away from our house. I was hoping we could hang out in the nearest coffee shop, to keep my mind off my problems.

But she was in a bar with her cousin. Her cousin got some tickets in an exclusive bar, where all the mega rich and famous people in New York would go. I ended up joining them, and we had so much fun.

I never had fun with my friends for ages. Since Mom got sick, life was tougher, that I had to work double, triple, quadruple... to sustain our daily expenses and afford her medical expenses. I worked in our online shopping business, did a part time job in a cafe, worked in a gas station in the evenings and groomed dogs on weekends.

The doorbell rang again, making me walk faster and open the door.

A woman wearing a two-piece gray business suit stood on my doorstep. She was wearing makeup, her dark hair was pulled tight at the back of her head in a tight bun.

"Good morning, Miss Pallis. I'm Sheila, the personal assistant of your grandfather. He sent me here to ask you to join him for breakfast," she said softly with a very charming smile.

My anger suddenly made me wide awake, "no thanks, I don't eat breakfast."

"Mr. Pallis would like to discuss something with you also..." she continued, but I cut her off.

"Tell him we'll discuss it later. I'm sure it can wait. If you don't mind, I'm going back to bed. I'm very sleepy," I said, then closed the door.

I was thankful that Bella... Wella... whoever she was, respected what I've said and left me alone. I was able to sleep for six hours straight and had a cold shower.

I was eating brunch, toying with the broccoli on my plate, when everything started to sink in.

My temper rose again. Seemed like getting angry was becoming a habit.

It felt like walking to a dead end. I was left with no choice by my callous cold hearted grandfather, but to agree on the arranged marriage with Adonis Stavrakos.

Now, I have to sacrifice my own future and fullfil that promise.

My thoughts shifted to Adonis Stavrakos. I wondered, why would an extremely rich man agree to a marriage of convenience? The only thing I could think of was to get wealthier and powerful.

As the saying goes, Greed is a fat demon with a small mouth. Whatever you feed, it is never enough.

Adonis Stavrakos obviously was not content with what he had. He wanted everything! No doubt aiming to be the most powerful man on the whole planet.

The thought of marrying that kind of man disgusted me. A selfish arrogant spoiled bastard was not the kind of man I dreamed of marrying and fathering my kids.