Chapter 31

"This place is gonna look like a honeycomb before long. The beast titan knows where we are." Said Levi, clearly agitated by the lack of movement and effort of the scouts. "Erwin, if there's no chance that we can turn this around then tell me. Then we can still cut our losses. Go shake the shit out of Eren until he wakes up, have him run away with as many people as he can carry. Then we'll have at least some survivors." He bargained.

Kaya was skeptical about whatever plan Erwin had up his sleeve, he usually wanted to win no matter what the cost, just like when fighting the female titan. Look what that got them, nothing but dead comrades and a giant crystal. It wasn't helping clear her mind that the recruits were constantly bickering, it was understandable of course but it was deeply irritating nonetheless.

"It's our job to guard the horses, why'd you let yours run away?" Marlowe shouted at a smaller ginger recruit.

"Shut up! Like it even matters now!" Floch yelled back.

"What was that!" Marlowe continued to scold.

"Those other scouts were insanely strong and all of them died in an instant. What chance do we have when they failed. There's no reason to guard the horses, because there's not going to be anyone left to ride them home." Floch cried, head in hands and curled up onto the ground.

"Isn't that a morale boost?" Kaya said sarcastically to her captain.

"There was a point when it all made sense, if everyone just cowered behind the walls and waited then someday titans would come out of nowhere and wipe us out. It was obvious that someone needed to bite the bullet and fight. It would be dangerous, yeah. That the soldiers who did it would be risking their lives to protect their loved ones. So when the recruiter asked us, which of you had the courage, I actually thought I could do it, that I'd be some kind of hero. I didn't get it, I didn't know, that if I died it would at least have some meaning. But it won't, it didn't for the others, they're gone. You know what, I bet almost everyone ends up having those same final thoughts. I was so stupid for coming here, why did I think I'd be any different." Floch continued, expressing his feelings and sending shivers down his fellow recruits spines.

"You can tell what's left of the recruits and Hange's group to run away on horseback. They won't have much of a chance, but they'll be decoys. Give Eren a shot at escaping." Levi suggested.

"Tell me, how do you fit into this plan?" Erwin asked.

"I'm going to go after the beast titan. I'll lour him away some how and-" Levi instantly got interrupted by the ghoul.

"No way! You won't get past the first line of houses without getting caught in his fire." Kaya argued.

"Probably not, but, if you and Eren make it home alive, then there'll still be hope. All things considered, I feel it's the best we can ask for. We've been brutalised. To be honest, Erwin, it seems like this battle will be where the scout regiment gets finished off." Levi added.

"Yes, if we had no way to fight back then you'd be right." Erwin contradicted, allowing the others to catch a glimpse of hope by his wording.

"If?" Kaya beckoned him to continue.

"Is there a way?" The captain asked.

"There is." He paused.

"You could've mentioned that before. Care to explain why you kept your shitty mouth shut?" Levi scolded.

"The plan could go a few ways. Case, you'll have a decent chance at killing the beast titan, but for it to succeed, the recruits and I will have to die." Erwin proceeded. Another boulder attack silencing him for a brief moment. "The survey corps may survive, but regardless, most of us will end up dead. Frankly, we're almost guaranteed to be defeated no matter what. The recruits and I will be staking our deaths on the slimmest chance of victory."