eleven.

ROOSTER WAS STANDING NEXT TO PHOENIX AND JAKE, ALL THREE pilots anxiously listening to the conversations happening between skye, katia, hangman, deadzone, and panther. rooster was standing, his thumb pressed to his lip as he listened to them talk. 

he trusted skye and katia completely. he knew that they were both skilled, and that they didn't need him to succeed in a mission. nonetheless, it had been some time since they'd flown without him, and he was beyond anxious. 

"calm down, rooster." phoenix said, bringing him out of whatever trance he'd been in. "they're gonna be okay."

he nodded. "yeah, i know. i just don't trust seresin."

fang, who was friends with the other jake, stiffened. "what's that supposed to mean?"

"that this is an exercise based on communication, and i don't trust hangman," he spoke the name like bile, "to communicate effectively with the rest of his team."

the other man scoffed. "if they win this exercise, it's gonna be because of hangman."

rooster stood taller. "you do know katia's up there, right?" he asked, getting defensive of his friend. "what kind of boyfriend are you?"

jake shrugged. "i'm just saying. hangman's a good pilot. they should be thankful that they get to fly with him instead of you for a change." with that, he walked away to join coyote and some of the other guys by the foosball table.

the taller man was about to move to follow him when phoenix put a hand on his shoulder. "rooster, don't. he isn't worth it."

he looked down at her. "how can you stand to fly with him? is he always like that?"

she shrugged. "i get used to it. he's in a bit of a mood today, though. he isn't normally so opinionated."

rooster scoffed. "i can't believe he'd say that shit when kat is up there. she and skye are ten times the pilots he and hangman are." 

phoenix nodded. "yeah, i know. i think he knows it, too, he just won't admit it." 

"does she know?"

"what?"

"does she know he's pulling that bullshit?" he asked, pointing to the man behind him with his thumb. 

"havoc?" phoenix asked, quirking a brow in question. "no. i don't see the point in hurting her feelings. i've honestly been hopeful that being with her might.. make him realize that he should change."

rooster's brows furrowed. "so then why is he dating her?"

she shrugged. "i think he genuinely likes her. but i also think he's stupid and doesn't know how to handle that." 

he nodded. "so is that why you didn't want them to date at first? you seemed on edge when anyone would talk about it."

phoenix cleared her throat. "yeah. that's what it was." 

rooster was suspicious of this, but didn't want to pry. instead, he focused back on the small radio in front of him. he listened as skye gave directions to katia, smiling at just the sound of her voice. he had started listening just in time to hear skye mutter "oh, fuck me" followed by hangman's "is that an order, lieutenant?". he heard katia say something in response, but clenched his fist, feeling his jaw tigthen. 

"he's lucky i'm not there." he mumbled, seeing phoenix smirk at his reaction. 

"what's happening over there, riot?" he heard deadzone ask, and he became worried for a second before she responded.

"i'm making sure he understands signals." she said, pausing for what he could only assume was dramatic effect. "i'm giving hangman the bird." 

rooster chuckled at this, covering his mouth with a hand as he leaned in closer to the radio. "that's my girl." he said to himself.