nineteen.

cover art by: alokarain

"The Broom Cupboard"

KINLEY ADAMS

I haven't talked to Malfoy for weeks after that. I would see him and we'd share glances but there was nothing more than that. I was so mad at him for everything and especially after he used legilimency on me. Now that I think of it, he was never trying to destroy them, or slice through them, or falsely implant more. He was so delicate — so precise with what he was doing and was as gentle as he could be when sifting through ones mind.

I couldn't help but feel embarrassed and awkward around him. Every time I would see him — whether it be the back of his head in class or walking through the corridor — I would relive that dream, and I would relive him breaking into the memory of that dream. I winced at the thought of it. Sometimes I'd catch him chuckle at me. It made me think he was remembering the dream he completely invaded. I hoped every time that he wasn't and I was just overthinking. Part of me knew I wasn't, though.

I went back to Gryffindor tower after my morning classes. Opening the door to my dormitory, I am met by a small black box on my four-poster. It wasn't terribly small though — about a foot all around. It was decorated with silver ribbon which was pulled up on each side of the box and tied into a bow at the top. It was the most impeccable, over-the-top packaging I've ever seen, yet it was simple, neat.

I approached it, almost afraid to touch it. What was a random box doing on my bed? And who the hell brought it in here? It was nearly impossible to get in my dorm without a key and the door had a charm placed on it to prevent it from unlocking with magic. I assume it was brought by one of the house elves.

I pulled open the box to see a piece of shimmery black fabric. I held it up, allowing it to unfold.

"Merlin's beard," I whisper to myself, my jaw practically dropping to the floor. Dangling from my hands was that black dress from Gladrag's Wizardwear. I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I checked the box for a note or something but all that was left was black stuffing tissue.

The only person I told about the dress was Harry, but he had never seen it in person to know exactly what it had looked like — must've been sheer luck. He had been out of the hospital wing for almost two weeks by now, so he had to have boughten it as a "thank you" gift for visiting him while he was on bed rest. I wondered if he had gotten anyone else a gift.

I tried it on again and it fit just as well as before. It was my dress — officially mine. I wish I had a place to wear it to. Surely lunch in the Great Hall wouldn't be appropriate. Professor Mcgonagall would probably send me to Dumbledore's office again if I wore something as little as this. She would make me eat those biscuits she had on her desk. My mind immediately thought about the last time that had happened. I don't know what had given me the boldness to tear my shirt off in front of everyone. Pulling at Malfoy's nerves got the best of me, I guess.

I put my robes back on and went to my afternoon classes: Arithmancy and Care of Magical Creatures. I would thank Harry then.

***

"I remember Fred using these things for Bludger practice at the burrow a few summers ago," I laughed, holding the Puffskein in my arms. It stuck out its long, thin, pink tongue to eat a spider that was scuttling in the dirt. It hummed and nuzzled itself into my chest.

"I saw a dead nest of these under a sofa at Grimmauld Place," Harry said.

I grimaced. "That's... lovely."

The class all had clippers to trim the Puffskeins fur. Hagrid said the fur would be collected for its magical properties that Professor Snape needed for an upcoming lesson with his fourth years. I began placing the hair in small jars, sealing each with a cork.