14

Dante scooped Gaia close, spooning her against his body. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, letting her scent relax him. In the back of his mind he could sense his wolf on alert, and wondered what his anxiety might be about. He figured he could do worse than to wait and watch through his wolf's eyes.

He was aware of staff and visitors checking in periodically, but only knew it was after dinner by the smell of food left by his mother. He wasn't certain how much time had passed before he sensed a subtle shifting, he could only liken as leaves dancing in a breeze.

He strained to determine the sensation, or the cause of it, and he felt his wolf following it, and the distance between himself and his wolf widening.

**
Gaia found herself standing in a meadow blossoming in jewel tones, under a night sky brilliant with stars. The air was sweet with sun-warmed earth and flowers, and the moon was full and hanging low.

She felt safe and full of peace, loved, and wanted.

Sensing a presence, she turned and found a beautiful wolf watching her. Her luxuriously thick pelt was white, tipped with pale gray, giving her a silvery halo effect, her eyes were a silver, and on her forehead was a patch of solid white shaped like a four pointed star.

Gaia fell to her knees, tears springing to her eyes. The wolf approached her and licked her face. Gaia wrapped her arms around her wolf's neck and rubbed her face in the thick, soft fur.

Hello Gaia, I am your wolf, my name is Gray-star

Gray-star. I'm sorry I didn't want to meet you yet, I'm sorry I didn't feel ready, I still don't, but I'm glad you're here

I'm glad I'm here, too, little one. I understand that you didn't feel ready. You've only just celebrated your seventeenth year. The next few months won't be easy. I'll be buffering the bulk of the discomfort for you, but I'll be sleeping for most of the next portion of the transition.

How long can I stay here with you?

This realm is the goddess', and we shouldn't overstay. We'll be leaving here together. I'll be a part of you when you awaken.

**

Cordut, do you know what that is?

After several more minutes the sensation ended with an abruptness that felt like the sun breaking over the horizon after a stormy night.

Mate is here

Dante sensed a new presence near and turned his attention to it. In his arms he saw a cloaked form, and when he gently pulled the cloth from the top he was greeted with Gaia, asleep in his arms. His wolf was relaxed and contented, his wolf's next thought, after a period of dreamy reflection, was happy, and bordering reverential

Our mate is arrived

Gaia's breathing pattern changed.

Dante heaved a sigh and absently tightened his arm around the girl he held against his body. His brow twitched when a muffled sound that could be a chuckle or a sob reached his ears. His eyes cracked open, his gaze riveting on her. She was curled against him, her head on his shoulder.

He could feel contentment and joy emanating from her. He relaxed and kissed the top of her head, breathing in the scent of her.

Gaia murmured, "Dante."

He replied, "Gaia."

He felt the lashes of her eye tickle his arm and her body stiffened. She hesitated, but excitement was evident when she said, "I met my wolf."

"Good. I know my wolf is anxious to meet her." He was happy for her. He hoped her beast would be able to help Gaia over the next few months. He wasn't certain he'd be able to wile away a day in bed with her again. He longed to move his body and use his brain.

"Can I have some water?"

"Sure," he pushed himself up on his elbow and pulled the rolling table his mother had kept in his reach closer. He swung Gaia into his lap as he sat up and helped her drink from the cup. When she had her fill he drank his own cup. "How are you feeling?"

"The pain is nearly gone. My wolf said she'd be buffering most of it now she's here."

Dante nodded, "That's good."

"But she'll be asleep for the next few months."

"I would expect her to mostly rest. I expect you will too. I slept more than normal most of last year, and my appetite nearly tripled. You'll be okay if I go to the bathroom?"

She nodded.

He lifted her off his lap and slid off the bed. After he finished in the bathroom he returned to the room and found Gaia still sitting up in the bed, peering at everything around her. "Hey you. Feeling better?"

The lights were off and the blackout curtains were still drawn over the closed blinds, but there was more than enough light for a werewolf's eyes from the various machines. And gaining one's wolf enhanced one's senses, which took time to settle into.

He drew the curtains and adjusted the blinds to allow in the lingering moonlight through the filter of the slats. Then he crossed the room and opened the small fridge, finding the food his mom had left for them.

"Yeah, I am." She watched him pull bags out of the little refrigerator and open them. "Um, how long have I been here?"

"I brought you in Friday, today is Tuesday. Five days, give or take a few hours. Are you hungry?"

"Five days," she mumbled. Her stomach rumbled. "I can eat. What're we having?"

"Breakfast, lunch or dinner?"

Gaia wasn't certain she understood the question he was asking. Deciding she liked all three meals, she offered, "Yes."

Dante turned to look at her, his brow arched, "Which one?" He watched emotions play over her face, widening her eyes and ever so slightly pushing out her lower lip.

"I can only choose one?"

Oh goddess, she was adorable. He laughed.

Gaia felt his laughter deep within her body, caressing her core. She gasped and pulled her knees to her chest.

He turned his attention back to the bags and began to unpack one, saying, "I'll fix us a little of each, then. You can have what you want."

"Thank you." She watched him as he worked, indulging her eyes on the feast that was the grace of his movements, and the lines of his form. She blushed when he turned around with two plates of reheated food.

Dante smirked, and carried the two plates over to the rolling table tray. He knew she'd been watching him, and the slight flush in her cheeks confirmed it, but she hadn't looked away, confident in her right to study him.

Gaia tilted her head as he approached, watching as he set the plates down on the table, and blushing again when his eyes met and held hers.

"Like what you see?"

"You brought me food." She looked at the plates. Half an omelet, sausage links, roast beef sandwich on rye, and roast chicken with green beans and roasted potatoes. It looked like far more food than she could eat all at once, but she was so very hungry! She reached for her fork, saying, "Oh, yes, it all looks so delicious! Thank you." She glanced up at him a brilliant smile on her face, then popped a forkful of cheesy egg and sausage in her mouth, humming with happiness.

He chuckled and shook his head. She was either very innocent, or a very clever minx. He picked up his own fork.

They surreptitiously stole glances at each other as they ate quietly for several minutes.

"Dante?"

"Yes, Gaia?"

"My wolf told me you and your wolf helped her come early, thank you."

Dante paused to ponder what she meant. "Um, I don't know what I did."

"You anchored me, and Cordut bridged us, and she said she doesn't think you even took one break. It could have taken days longer for me to meet her had you taken any breaks."

He rested his fork and looked at her. Why hadn't Cordut explained it like that? "I did?" Wait, when did he tell her his wolf's name? Even Angelica didn't know his wolf's name.