Part 26

Sidharth's P.O.V. 

As I reached outside Megha's house, I looked at the car, furious. I felt like smashing all the glasses and absolutely destroying it. I went in but what I heard at the door, not only stopped me, but shook me from within. "Mumma, I think it's good what happened to that girl. Think of it, she will spend a few weeks in the hospital and by the time she is out, she will return to the city since her sentence will be over. Sid will finally be free and we can get Megha engaged to him," Neha said. "Yes, I don't think her accident was a bad thing afterall. But we have to warn your cousin about his car. Luckily, this area doesn't have cameras otherwise he would have gotten arrested by now," she said. I was beyond disgusted by them. I couldn't believe that they can be so despicable. I barged into the house and while they looked at me slightly nervous, my anger was getting the best of me. I gritted my teeth as I looked at them. "Sid," Neha said coming to me, smiling nervously, "Come in. How is Sana now? Is she alright?" "Seriously Neha, I knew that you both disliked her but you hate her. Why? Because she's from the city? Because she is here on punishment?" I said. She frowned at me. "No," she said angrily, "I don't care if she was born in the city or abroad. I hate her because ever since she came here, you have forgotten yourself. You used to love Megha. And after Sana came, you completely changed! You told me to apply medicine by myself on Megha only because you wanted to stay with Sana?!" "You are despicable," I said with my words filled with bitterness and disgust. "You know what, I admit that I liked Megha. I liked her because of her qualities and trusted her upbringing. But now, seeing you all, I highly regret feeling anything towards her. I thank God that he saved me from joining a psychotic family," I said gritting my teeth. 

I turned around to leave but stopped as I had one more thing to say, "You always praised and spoke highly of your daughters, didn't you? Well now, don't try it anymore because no parent in their right mind will support and encourage their children in the foolishness you push your daughters towards. You are the greatest slap on the face in the name of decent parents. And don't think that you will get away with this. I will report you for conspiring to murder." My phone rang and I answered saying, "Yes Sharad." "Sid, Sana has regained conscious and she's constantly asking for you. Dr. Sharma is saying that if you remain with her, it will be good," he said. I sighed and thanked God silently. "I'll be there," I said. I hung up and looked at them. "Consider yourself lucky that Sana saved you today," I said and left. I rushed back to the hospital and ran to her room to find Inspector Tripathi questioning Sana. "Are you sure you didn't see who was driving the car?" He asked. "I'm sure. The car hit me from behind," she said. "Try to think, Sana," he said pressuring her. "Inspector," I said going to the bed, "She just woke up. Don't let her put that much stress on her head. You can do your investigation later." "I know Sidharth and I'm sorry. I understand that she must not put pressure on her brain. I'll return later. Besides, I have to speak to the judge so that we know where to go from here," he said. I nodded and allowed him to leave. "Hey doc," she said to me smiling. I smiled and went to her. Holding her hand, I sat next to her. "You scared everyone," I said. She smiled saying, "Didn't I tell you, if anything happens to me, you'll be the one to save me." "Are you in a lot of pain?" I asked. "I am a bit uncomfortable when I'm breathing but, I'm fine," she said. Frowning, I said, "You have two broken ribs. Luckily, you don't have any damage to your brain." "Did you get scared?" She asked. "I did," I said. 

"Are you still mad at me? Are you going to avoid me now?" She asked. "Never," I said with my voice breaking, "I'll never ignore you ever again." She smiled and cupped my face. "But that doesn't mean I won't scold you. You were absolutely careless," I said. She looked at the roof saying, "I don't really remember anything. I got the vegetables and was walking back. Then, everything was hazy. Everyone gathered around me and the pain was so much, I felt numb..." I couldn't hear it and covered her mouth. My eyes welled up as I said, "I don't want to hear anything else. Let's leave all of that in the past and move on. The person that did this to you will pay for their deeds." "I'm not going to press charges," she said. I looked at her in awe and asked, "Why not?" "Well, I don't have any reasons why I don't want to but, I just don't want to. I'll leave it to karma," she said. "Are you insane?" I scolded. "Hmm..." she hummed slightly moving. "Are you uncomfortable? Do you want another pillow?" I asked. "No, it's ok. I am fine," she said. She closed her eyes and gulped her saliva. "I'll give you some painkillers," I said and got her tablets. I fed them to her and gave her water. She laid her head back and looked at me. I sat back with her and held her hand. "Thank you for not letting me sleep away in the car. And apologise to Sharad for yelling at him," she said as her eyes began to close. I chuckled and looked at her falling back asleep. She knew everything. As I looked at her, I frowned as I remembered her mother. Who is going to tell her and how? I got up and left the room. I bounced into Sharad outside and I asked, "Sharad, who is going to inform Sana's mother about this?" "Inspector Tripathi has already informed her. She is on her way. I am guessing that he will speak to the judge also and see what will be done with this sentence. Although, I don't think she will be given permission to continue. We can only wait and see," he said. "This just got so messed up. Everything seems to be getting out of hand," I said. 

I left with my phone and went to a corner. I tried calling Sana's mother but her phone was switched off. She must be on her flight. I sighed and felt guilty that I couldn't fulfil the promise I made to her. I failed in protecting Sana. And in a way, she is here because of me. Neha and Mrs. Singh did all of this because of me. I frowned and went back to the room. "Visiting hours are over so I'm going. I'll give the news to the old folks at the home. You remain here with her," Sharad said. I nodded. I looked at the reports hung on her bed and they were saying that she was out of danger. Thank God she didn't have any serious internal injury. I went and sat on the sofa and stared at her sleeping. It's true, you never realise how important a person is in your life until you experience the fear of losing them. 

The next morning, I woke up and saw Sana looking at me with a smile. "Hey," I said getting up. "Morning doc," she said. I just loved it when she called me doc. I smiled and went to her. "Did you wake up long now?" I asked. "Around five o' clock I woke up," she said. "Five?" I said looking at my watch. It was half six. "How come you woke up this early?" I asked. "I am used to it now. Roopaji's alarm clock used to wake me up. Now, even without it, I wake up at five," she said. I smiled and caressed her hair. "Are you feeling pain?" I asked. She shook her head. "Sidharth," she said frowning. "What is it?" I asked. "Please, don't tell Mom about my accident," she said. "Why?" I asked. "Because she will come here and I don't want to meet her," she said. "Sana, stop being angry at your mother. Do you still think that she ruined your birthday?" I said. "No. It's not that. I just don't want her to see me like this," she said. "I'm sorry Sana. But she already knows. In fact, she must already be in Amritsar," I said. I held her hand in mine and looked at her saying, "Sana, just give your mother a chance. Let this be an opportunity for you to see how much she loves you." "I am not against meeting her. I am scared of what she will say when she gets here," she said. "What will she say?" I asked. Before she could answer, someone entered the room and Sana frowned. I turned around and recognised her mother. I stood up and looked at her as she rushed to her daughter and embraced her lightly. "Sana, baby, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have let you remain here. I'm sorry," she said. I didn't find it appropriate to remain here so I said, "Excuse me. I'll be outside." Sana held onto my hand and pleaded through her eyes to stay. "It's ok Sana. I am right outside," I said. I left the room and waited outside for them to talk.

After a few minutes, her mother came out and looked at me with disappointment. I was ready for her to reprimand me in any way and tell me whatever she wanted. "I'm sorry. I know I couldn't fulfil my promise to you. I couldn't protect Sana," I said lowering my head. "You don't have to apologise. It's not your fault. I know that you are a man of your words. You didn't break your promise," she said. She smiled a bit hesitantly at me. "Can I help you with something?" I asked. "Yes," she said. "Tell me," I said. "Can you convince Sana to come home with me?" She asked. I frowned. "She will get the best treatment in the city and she will be home. But, she doesn't want to listen to me. She is insisting on staying here," she said, "If it's possible, can you talk to her?" I couldn't argue with her on this because I don't know if it would be right to state opinions. I was sad and hurt that she wanted to take Sana back to the city but I had no right to ask her to let her stay. "I will try my best," I said. She smiled and said, "Thank you." I went into the room where Sana was, annoyed on the bed. Looking at me, she said, "If you are here to convince me to go back, then forget it. I'm not going back unless that judge tell me I can." I sat next to her and remained quiet, thinking about a way to convince her. "Sana, isn't this what you wanted ever since you came here? To go back home?" I said. "That was then. Today, everything has changed," she said. "Nothing has changed. You're still the same old Sana. That stubborn, arrogant, attitude filled girl. This is your golden opportunity to leave this small town and return home," I said. She frowned at me. "Do you really want me to think that I will believe you? Like, seriously? Sidharth, you're the one that has seen how much I have changed after coming here. You know that I am not the old Sana. Then, how can you ask me to leave?" She said. "Your mother is here for you. She will be there for you. You will get the best treatment in the city," I said. "And if I remain here, you won't take care of me?" She asked. She was making this harder than it already is for me. "Sidharth," she said desperate, "I don't want to leave. Why can't I stay here with you all? Why are you forcing me to leave?" I cupped her face and said, "Alright. Don't stress too much. You will be wherever you want, ok?" "Really?" She asked. I nodded. "Thank you," she said. Now, I just have to convince her mother and I might have an idea for it.

____________________

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed that update! Please vote, comment and share! Also, a huge thank you for 4000+ reads. Come on guys, let's make this book rock! I know that I took a bit of time to update. My life has just been going through some rough patches for the past week. I know you all will understand. Until we meet again! Bye!