Battle of Glenkia Peninsula 1

December 5

Eighteen days have passed since reports came in from various quarters that the enemy fleet had departed from the south from various locations. Sailing ships in this world, which can borrow the power of mages called Wind Masters, travel faster than the sailing ships of the same period in Japan's old world, making it possible to shorten the time of ocean voyages. Sometimes the ship is towed by a dragon, which increases its speed to that of a steamship.

At the Lucinia base, they continued to monitor the sea to prepare for the enemy fleet that was heading south toward them, while waiting for the reinforcements that were expected to arrive at any moment. Despite the tension of the base personnel, who were anxious to see whether the reinforcements or the enemy fleet that would come earlier, life in Lucinia City was going on as usual, with people going about their daily lives.

. . .

Evening

500 km north of the base at sea

The sun is about to set beyond the western horizon, shining on a turboprop aircraft. The golden glint of the aircraft had the Hinomaru painted on the side of it indicating the aircraft's affiliation. The JMSDF's P-3C Orion, with its four propellers rotating, two on each side, and its offshore surveillance radar working, was scanning the waters around the Lucinia Base.

"Objects visible at 10 o'clock left. Appears to be a fleet."

Lieutenant Commander Sanemitsu Okouchi, the Orion's captain, confirmed that a group of black objects were popping up in the ocean. The crew members were a bit nervous at the announcement delivered from the cockpit.

"We are approaching. Turn left."

"Roger."

The plane banked to the left. Maintaining altitude, the P-3C approached the group of objects to see what they were. After a certain distance, it was confirmed that they were a group of large sailing vessels.

"It's definitely a fleet. Check the ship's registration."

The captain instructed one of the airmen to use binoculars to check the flags flown by the fleet of ships. The ships were of various shapes and sizes, but all of them were flying one and the same flag.

"Flag confirmed. They are flying the flag of Crossnellyard."

"!"

The flag of the fleet is confirmed. The airman's words startled the entire crew on board. The fleet is flying the flag of the enemy, and the enemy has finally appeared in the vicinity of Lucinia.

"I had heard that the speed of sailing ships in this world is faster than that of the Earth... Still, it was faster than I expected," Okouchi murmured his thoughts frankly as he gazed at the great fleet of ships spread out across the ocean.

"Drop the sonobuoy!"

A sonobuoy was dropped from the belly of the plane. It was to check if the enemy fleet was not carrying any sea monsters, as it had been during the previous Battle of Iloa Sea.

"Sonar detected no giant submersibles in the surrounding waters."

For the time being, it was confirmed that the enemy was not bringing with them any underwater weapons such as sea monsters. The crewmen were relieved to hear this report. At that time, the Crossnellyard forces were aware of a huge flying object approaching. Immediately, the dragon houses on the side of each ship were opened and dragons of various sizes emerged from them.

"Flying object... dragons from the enemy fleet. More and more are coming."

One of the airmen reported the attack of the enemy air force. Brown, red, and blue dragons, all three of which had been seen during the Altian War, were among them, but the largest was a shining silver dragon.