Chapter 108

"Sir, the Warmaster wants me to report to you that all of our communication lines are down. We are on our own." The warrant officer cracked off a sharp salute. His sword dangled from his hip, and his uniform was as in good condition as it could possibly be.

Well, that was unfortunate. But we will hold. "Have we dispatched carrier pigeons, then?"

"Yes, sir. They are on their way to every relevant outpost, as well as to the praetorian stronghold."

"Any word on Alessia?" I spun around and gazed out across the courtyard. My hands were firmly clasped behind my back as I took stock of the situation.

"No. But the scouts have reported heavy fighting in the northern woods. She must be giving them hell."

I weighed his words and mentally scowled. I wouldn't send any troops to aid her. I have a vow to defend the stronghold, no matter the cost. Even if that means I need to sacrifice somebody. Duty above all else. I'm sure Alessia would understand. "You are dismissed, Alectroc." The sound of his uniform rustling as he snapped off his salute filled the room before the sound of striking bone stone filled the room as he wandered off. I stood there for a moment before I decided that it was time to join my troops.

I stared out across the courtyard. Lost in a sea of my own thoughts. I've done this before, haven't I? I stood in there, fending off a wave of attackers. I stood at the front, standing shoulder to shoulder with all my troops. The memories swirled around, clouding my view for a moment before I cast them to the side. Now was not the time to get lost. No, I had to defend this stronghold. I had to defend the princess. Even if I must give my life.

"Sir, we have reports of movement just outside of the wall. Towards the gate." Another warrant officer came up behind me and rattled off his report.

"Good. Let them come." I placed my hand on the hilt of my sword. Octavian has graciously allowed me to handle the entire defense, and I will not let him down. Whoever it may be, they will only meet my blade.

The ground trembled, and loose stone rolled from the wall. But we all remained firm. Instead of fracturing and fighting as our squads, we will face this threat as one. We will be unified in the face of this threat. As one, the archers on the wall released a flurry of arrows. The sound of dozens upon dozens of strings twanging filled the air. Energy started to fill the air as mages cast their volley.

"Report?" My good hand rested gently on the hilt of my sword, ready to bring it to bear at a second's notice.

"We have counted four parties of four each near the front of the gate. Each of them seems to be specialized in some sort of nature magic and are accompanied by some large walking trees." One scout shouted through the ranks of the legion.

I took a step forward and spun around to face my legion. At its helm was my most trusted lieutenant. His brown eyes, once filled to the brim with joy, were replaced by a dark chasm that seemed to drink in all the light. Bones that had been withered by the ceaseless toll of time replaced his once lithe form. My heart broke as I regarded my legion. Once radiant colors and armor, now faded and sullied.

"As many of you may know, I'm not a fan of speeches. But hear this. Today, we defend the southern pass of Asteria. We don't know from what, but that doesn't matter. We once defended this pass in life, and now, we will do it in death. But not only do we defend this pass, but we defend the princess. Do not falter, and we will win this day."

The legion rippled as they cheered. They knew what was at stake, and they would happily give their life to the Empress and her daughter. "Now that they have revealed themselves, we will march out to them. We will not let them lay a single foot inside the vaunted grounds of our stronghold. We will crush them before they could even consider it." Once more, my legion cheered as the sounds of another volley of arrows and magic was let loose.