Thirty

ARABELLA

"Okay and here is you guys order." I smile at the young couple and they give me a quick thanks.

I make my way back into the back rooms and sigh. It has been about 3 weeks since me and Rico had that break up. 3 weeks since I have seen him.

Everyday I regret making the choice of ending it between us, but then a part of me is relieved.

This was the right decision.

These past three weeks has been surprisingly calm which means that the men aren't after me anymore.

Well I hope they aren't.

I got my job back at the cafe after telling my boss about how my mom got sick and I had to make a trip down to see her.

There was no way I was gonna tell him what had actually been happening.

When I first ended it with Rico, he sent me texts non-stop. It could be a good morning text or a good night text.

I think he was just hoping I would respond.

By the second week, I stopped getting messages and calls.

I can't lie and say I don't miss him... Being with him made me feel as though I hadn't lived in terror for years. He made me feel safe.

But even with people that make you feel safe, doesn't mean you are safe. There was a lot going on in Rico's life too, so leaving was best.

"Okay! Closing up." I jump at the voice and nod at Joe, going to grab my things.

I go into the lounge area for the staff and gather my things. I flinch when I hear a loud screech noise.

"Ahhh!!! Ara! My girl!" I sigh and scrunch my eyes shut.

Katy. She is one of the new employees here and she has absolutely no idea what to do. She doesn't know how to handle money or even collect money. She drops the money all the time.

She is super nice though, and sometimes it's nice to have a friend.

"Hey Katy." I wave and smile at her and she jumps towards me, squishing me into a hug.

A 'oof' noise comes out my mouth and she laughs.

"So! Since Winnie, Jackie, Or Hayden doesn't want to go to this party with me, wanna go?" Oh right.

Another thing, I'm always the fourth option for anything. She always has to ask her three other friends before she can ask me.

"Katy you know I don't do parties... They are really sketchy." And the men could still be out for me.

She rolls her eyes, "okay boringggg!"

Even though she is 27, she still has the mind of a 18 year old.

"Please Ara... I would be really sad if you wouldn't come with me." She gives me her best puppy eyes and I sigh, my tummy filling with guilt.

I don't want her to be sad, especially because of me.

"Okay fine, I will go." I smile to her and she immediately smiles.

"Oh great! Cmon then, you can borrow one of my dresses." She winks.

My eyes widen and my insecurities hit me like a brick. I won't fit her dresses. Katy has the body of a model.

With her long blonde hair, slim waist, and perfect hips, I will not fit her dresses.

"Katy I don't think I will fit-" she stops my thoughts.

"Ah ah! You will fit. We will make it fit. Just don't eat anything for the rest of night or else you might stretch my dress." She laughs at her 'joke'.

I feel tears come up but I push them back down.

She is my friend. She is just looking out for me.

We get into her car and on the ride there, she starts talking to me about this guy she saw at the gym. She rambles about how hot he is and how she is going to try to get his number.

I stare out the window and twirl my curly hair in between my fingers.

"You know, I would die for orange hair like yours. It's so pretty and unique." She sighs and I smile at her compliment.

"Thank you." I smile at her and she turns her head to send me and smirk.

When we reach her house, I get out the car and follow her into her humongous house. A full two stories.

We hurry into her room and she hums to a song while picking out a dress for me.

"Katy I really don't think any of the dresses will fit." She sighs at my comment.

"Gosh Ara, can you at least try not to be a attention seeker. The dresses will fit, chill out." I look away.

"Oh! How about this one." She pulls out this revealing, tight pink dress.

My eyes widen.

"Um, I don't want to wear that." I shake my head and she rolls her eyes.

"Just put it on." She throws it at me and I walk into her bathroom to put it on.

I feel the dress stretch as I put it on and tears fall from my eyes. I knew it wouldn't fit.

I breathe in and out as I slip it on some more. When it is fully on, I officially hate myself.

Everything is exposed. The scars on my arm, the fainted bruises, the scars from Adam. Everything.

I can't go out like this. I can't.

"Ugh, Ara you are taking forever in there. Come out!!"

What am I supposed to do?

I feel my breathing quicken. What will she think when she sees me like this?!

I grip the door handle with sweaty hands and slowly open the door.

I drop my head and look at the ground. "I don't think it fits that well."

I peek a eye up at Katy and her jaw is dropped.

It's silent for a minute before I hear something I was hoping I wouldn't hear tonight.

She was laughing.
—————————————————————————