7-♪- Say When

♪-Chapter-7

            “Hey mom,” I speak quietly, rocking the seat to the Ferris wheel.

            “Hey sweetie! How are you! You have no idea what Carmina and I did today. Carmina is to shoot in another film, can you believe it!” she squeals in the phone.

            “That’s… that’s great mom,” I say trying to hold in my tears.

            I wasn’t even sad that Carmina was going to shoot another film. I was crying because I felt lonely, because I missed my family. I wanted someone to talk to.

            As soapy as that sounds all I wanted right now was to get someone to just say, “Hey, I’m here to listen….”

            I swallow hard.

            “Are you bored at home? Oh well, at least it’s still winter break,” my mother says cheerfully, not even letting me put in a word.

            I stay silent. She didn’t even know I haven’t been at home for at least two days straight.

            A sinking feeling falls to the pit of my stomach and my eyes burn with tears.

            “Are you ok? Why aren’t you speaking?” My mother asks me, her chirpy tone slightly lilting.

            I can hear the bustling rush of noise on the other end.

            Clearing my throat, I clutch the phone closer. “Actually… I’m not. When are you guys coming home mom? I really miss-“

            “Oh what! Yeah! I’m coming,” my mom’s loud voice calls out. “Sorry sweetie but I gotta run, Carmina’s got her photo shoot. We’re leaving to New York tomorrow so stay put, ok? Love you, bye!”

            I swallow again.

            The pretty yellow, green, pink and blue lights of the fair coalesce into a mirage under the starry night and as the Farris wheel clambers up to a start I feel the seat-carriage thing I am in begin to rock.

            A tear drops onto my lap.

            Biting my lip until I taste the rusty taste of blood, I lower the phone and stare out into the city.

            Tall skyscrapers and the gray-collaged sky line the evening, a slight breeze lisping through the air and nipping my neck.

            I push my body forward slightly, rocking the seat back and forth, the thrill of being so high up creating a feeling of bravery.

            I know right, rocking a Ferris wheel seat in the air. Some crazy stuff.

            The Ferris wheel stops suddenly, my seat suspended right at the top.

            Looking up, I felt like I was so close to the sky. Like all I had to do was reach up and- and scream.

            Maybe then I would be free.

            All I had to do was jump and then I would be flying.

            Flying like the birds seen on a winter day.

            I sigh, peering over my seat and clinging to the pole. The drop from where I am to the ground surprises me.

            Gasping slightly, I cling harder to the pole praying that I wouldn’t fall.