Chapter 45

"Do you want to go somewhere?" Cage asked.

What an odd question. I stared at him. "What?"

Cage placed another magazine of bullets into a gun. "I said do you want to go somewhere? Tonight?"

I kept on staring at him uncomfortably. "I don't know what you're asking me."

We were in the front lobby. Cage was sitting crisscrossed on the glass floor and I was perched on the ledge of the platform that held the sculpture, watching Cage do whatever he was doing. I still hadn't figured out what the sculpture was, it had such a strange shape and faintly resembled a piece of paper that had been crumbled.

Cage had several guns and rifles in front of him and a pack of bullets. He spent the last ten minutes checking each weapon for whatever insane reason, and filling them with bullets. Nick took Fern and Diana out to dinner and Heath disappeared, as usual. He didn't tell anyone where he was going except for Cage. So basically, Cage and I were alone in a twenty story luxury hotel.

After what happened last night, I didn't think that was the best of scenarios. Nick spent the morning diligently avoiding me. I didn't make an effort to talk to him after what happened. We both needed time. I was pretty sure Fern already knew what I did. A broken jaw didn't go unnoticed, especially to her. However, she never bought it up so neither did I.

It was sometime around evening now. The sky was turning darker and Chicago was dulling down. No one seemed to be coming back to the hotel, and I was getting antsy. Being alone with Cage never ended well for either of us. He kept on giving me these unsolicited looks that bordered on the edge of danger. Cage looked like he needed to say something but he never did, and it was driving me insane.

"Everyone's out." He said. "We should be too. It's a beautiful night."

I looked at his hand. His wound was covered by another kitty-shaped bandage, courtesy of yours truly. "Remember how our last date ended?"

"If I recall correctly, you didn't consider it a date."

"Because it wasn't." I pointed out. "You basically forced me to go with you. You literally dragged me through the gates, Cage. And then you laughed whenever I screamed, which is the basic human reaction people have when something jumps out at them, you untickilish freak. So no, I don't consider it a date."

Cage chuckled. "You scream at everything, though."

"I do not."

"As the guy who stands beside you when you do all of your shouting, I can say with confidence that I literally can't hear anything with my left ear because you destroyed it."

''Yeah, well, I can say the same about all of those terrifying gunshots." I pointed out. "And you do not need so many guns, Cage. When you get arrested, I hope they file a charge for all of your illegal weapons."

He checked the back end of an assault rifle and gave me a smirk. When there is at least ten very illegal weapons in front of you, it's hard to approach the situation in a logical way. "I don't plan on getting arrested anytime soon, princess."

"That's cute. I almost want to visit you in prison."

"If I'm going to prison, I promise that you will too. Remember that time when you hacked into the Central Intelligence Agency database and deleted the files Jonah sent them?"

"Remember how you held up a gun to my head and forced me to do it? You are such a dick sometimes, Cage. Actually, not just sometimes. It's all the time. Everyday, you do something shitty. I dare you to go one day without hurting anybody."