xliii. invisible string

chapter forty-three
invisible string

  Sitting next to El Hopper in brown leather seats, Rue tried not to let it show how badly she did not want to be there. The awaiting passengers or family members at the airport were scattered everywhere. Some parents were chasing after their runaway child, and a couple waiting for their flight cuddled together, resting their heads on each other's shoulders.

A woman sitting in the row behind Rue was singing a song in Spanish, faint but full of heart. She watched as the woman had jumped up from her seat once Gate 25 had opened and passengers poured out from behind the doors. A man caught her eye, and the singing woman had run into his arms after he dropped his bags without care.

A bitter tinge pricked Rue's stomach at the sight of the reunited couple. They swayed side to side and he kissed her feverishly as if there was no tomorrow. She crossed her arms over her chest and turned to look the other way as Eleven sighed dreamily. "That's sweet. Romantic. Isn't it romantic, Rue?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Hey," Eleven nudged Rue's shoulder softly, forcing her to turn and look at her. Rue spotted Will staring at her from El's other side, grinning like an idiot while holding onto his rolled-up painting. Jonathan was half asleep next to him, and Argyle stared into space at the end of the row of seats.

He was probably high and out of his mind. Unaware of his surroundings as he drowns in the bliss granted by marijuana.

El leaned forwards slightly, blocking Rue's view of the three boys. Eleven dressed up; she had used her makeup expertise that morning to make herself as pretty as she thought she could be with lipgloss, blush, mascara, and all. She wanted to look pretty for Mike. She wanted to feel pretty. She had even taken some of Rue's hair clips for herself.