Iris and Ginger

I sat in some Parisian vintage clothing store, watching Ginger try clothes on.

She waltzed out in a black dress that went to her knees.

"What do you think?" She asked.

I looked up from my phone. "It's nice. You look good."

She admired herself in the mirror. "It's like so Chanel isn't it? Little black dress? Every girl needs a little black dress."

"I agree with you there. But you have ten already." I pointed out.

Ginger was a bit of a shopaholic. I think spending her parents money gave her the feeling that they cared.

"Yeah, but this ones from Paris! It's special. Plus this is the one that I can say "this is the dress I bought after I finally began a relationship with the love of my life." I can't say that about any of my other dresses!" She said vigorously.

"Ginger, why the sudden need for retail therapy?" I asked.

She sighed and sat down. "I figured you'd ask this. I called my mom, she's in Bermuda with Marvin, her boyfriend? I mean, I knew that she didn't want me to call her but I figured I'd try anyway. Well she was like completely drunk when she answered. She didn't know who it was it first, and I said its Ginger, and then she started yelling at me "Gertrude is your given name! Gertrude Lexington, you're such a disappointment! I wish I divorced your father before you were born so that I didn't have to deal with you!" And then I hung up. That's why I needed retail therapy."

"Oh Ginger. Your mom didn't mean it, she was just drinking. People do and say stupid stuff when they're drinking." I lied.

She shook her head and ran a hand through her hair. "Yeah well, I'm not sure what I was expecting."

She stood up and looked at herself in the mirror. "I'm getting this one."

She went back into the dressing room, and threw the dress at me into her buy pile.

"Iris! I saw a gorgeous dress that would look great on you in the back. It's light blue, fifties style, with polka dots. Go get it. Oh and bring me back a couple more things to try on. Your pick."

I walked to the back of the store, and found the dress she was talking about. It was adorable. It had straps that tied on the neck and a white belt. I grabbed it off the rack and chose a few things for Ginger.

After trying it on and staring at myself in the mirror for a while, Ginger came out. She had on a maxi skirt with a turquoise button down.

"I'm so getting this. It's cute right? Oh my god Iris you look great! That's gorgeous on you. You have to get it. I can curl your hair, and you can wear red lipstick. It'll look so great! I even have some white Toms you can borrow."

I did look good. I hoped Colton would like it.

"I'm not your doll." I teased.

She laughed and went back into the dressing room to change. She came back out in her yoga pants and Boston sweatshirt.

"Okay. I'm ready to buy this stuff."

After she rang her stuff up, for a grand total of six hundred and seventy nine dollars, I paid for mine and we left.

We got into another cab with all of Ginger's shopping bags.

"Ginger, I think you should tell Rory what happened with your mom. You kinda snapped at him when he asked what was wrong. It probably hurt his feelings."

She sighed and looked out the cab window. "I did, didn't I? Well I'll talk to him when we get back and explain things. This whole relationship thing is going to be work."