Chapter 10: The Twin Swordsmen

I just realized that I still had the sentence "killed his mothers" in the story description for when I first wrote the draft.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years later

The young men were kneeling on the ground as an older Shinjuro.

Shinjuro: "You boys are ready.. I will be sending you off to your first mission. Before that though, there are a few individuals who'd like to see you just before leaving"

He used the wooden sword in his hand to tap on the ground, signaling for them to come in.

Kyojuro: "Yoriichi?"

Akeno: "YORIICHI!!"

Mother ran up to me and wrapped her arms around my neck.

Kyojuro: "You hadn't seen him in a while"

Yoriichi: "Mother. I know you've been worried-"

Akeno: "My boy.. You've grown so much"

Father came to my side as more people arrived.

Senjuro: "There he is"

Shinobu: "YORIICHI!!"

Ruka: "The boy's grown quite strong"

As I got swarmed with family, I saw that Michikatsu was watching the door.

Mitsuki: "And I've arrived but I don't come alone"

From the entrance and face I've never seen before showed up, but it brightened up my brother's face.

Michikatsu: "Mother!!"

Tsukuyomi: "Michikatsu.."

She walked over to him and put a hand over his head.

Tsukuyomi: "I can see he's grown since the last time I saw him. Tell me former Flame Hashira, what exactly do you plan to do with my boy?"

Shinjuro: "To have him challenge Yoriichi"

Michikatsu: "I'd like to accept the challenge mother"

Tsukuyomi looked down to the boy before turning her head over to the eldest Rengoku.

Tsukuyomi: ".. You're free to do what you want"

She began to leave but turned back slightly to look at the group.

Tsukuyomi: "Know.. I won't move a finger if you are planning on a revenge Shinjuro. That goes for you too Michikatsu.. even if you are my child"

She left with that as the room fell to silence.

Michikatsu: "Lord Shinjuro. I'm ready for the mission. Whatever it is. I'm ready!!"

As my family began to step back I noticed my mother looking anguished. I took her hand and put her palm on my head.

Akeno: "Yoriichi.."

She pat me a little as Grandfather used the sword to draw everyone's attention.

Shinjuro: "We've been training you both for nearly a decade now, Mitsuki and I that is. All to groom you two so that you'd become the strongest humans on earth. To become their defenders and grind through the ranks to become the future Hashira of our clans"

He sat down on a chair as I kneeled down next to Michikatsu.

Shinjuro: "You two are ready. You all have the task of bringing back everyone the Phenex clan's third oldest boy has taken. Riser Phenex"

Xuelan: "High five!!"

Michikatsu: "Hey"

I turn over to see Michikatsu stick his fist out with a smile. I appreciate his positivity with a fist bump as Grandfather nods.