63 | White Aster

The main, grand palace of the empire was as magnificent as Irene's book described. A vast, tall fortress built sturdily with white walls and tall, strong windows. It stretched across acres of land, encompassed by endlessly flourishing gardens, and was in pristine condition despite being vacant for over a decade.

"Wow..."

Irene couldn't help but stare wide-eyed at the sheer size of it. For a moment, a lot of her anxiousness faded as she took a moment to marvel at the grandeur of an empire's royalty.

Multitudes of carriages lined the roads leading into the courtyard. Nobles from across all of Laydel gathered here - many of which Irene had never seen. All were dressed in luxurious, sparkling attire, and all paid homage to the Cherlianns and Prince Mikael as they passed.

"It's been so long since we came here." Sarah whispered, smiling up at the endlessly vast structure in front of them. Irene glanced up at her mother, still concerned about her health. But it seemed the duchess's condition had improved.

Just then, a man with deep red hair and eyes approached the waiting Cherlianns with a gracious smile. He was rather handsome for a servant, and looked to be in his early twenties. As soon as Rayvis noticed the man approach, a smile crossed his face.

"Tieve! Are you here to escort us in?" He asked.

Irene blinked. Tieve... Tieve Cevalier? A wave of recognition crossed her mind. That's right! He's Daniel's right-hand.

He was far more charming than Irene anticipated. Irene remembered writing about Tieve as a trusted friend of Daniel, who also helped Isabella out many times. He served as a middle man between them, oftentimes.

Irene smiled at the sight of him, but her heart was also racing with anxiousness. Seeing Tieve here makes me realise this is really happening. Daniel is finally taking his place in the empire.

"Yes, My Lord." Tieve responded smoothly to Rayvis. "If you would please follow me."

"No need to keep up the act of courtesy around us, you know." Rayvis sighed, nudging Tieve in the arm as they began to follow him in. "Where is Daniel?"

"His Highness is getting ready and waiting for guests to finish arriving. He won't be here immediately, so please feel free to sit and drink at your leisure."

The mention of Daniel only made Irene even more nervous. When she glanced at Mikael, he didn't seem very fazed by any of this. It was rather comforting having someone who cared so little about this sort of event, even though it was supposed to affect him the most.

As they walked through the halls, Rayvis chatted about various things with Tieve. Irene was content to just watch them whilst admiring the brilliant architecture and interior design. Rudien and Sarah were quiet, but also taking in the palace's features. Although they had been here before, so much time passed since they visited.

After all, no one stepped into the palace after the late Emperor and his wives passed away. It was odd to believe this place was actually where both Daniel and Mikael were born.

Tieve led the Cherlianns into a large hall, and as Irene stepped into it, her eyes widened in awe of the beauty surrounding her. Marble columns lined the walls, surrounding rows of windows with intricate, diamond-like designs. Glass chandeliers hung from the ceiling, their light reflecting off of the shining, white stones.

A grand staircase lined up against the walls, leading to a raised platform, which spread into corridors leading further into the palace. However, entry further in was strictly forbidden — and many guards patrolled the area in order to keep security in check. Considering the events that took place here in the past, it was best to remain cautious.