Chapter 26 - "Mr And Mrs Graham"

*present time*

One word:

Awkward.

This is how Marinette would describe how the rest of the day went on. As soon as the Bishop said his final sermon, everyone gathered back in the Palace's ballroom where the newly wedded couple had to welcome the guests. Félix and Marinette did everything they just could to avoid talking with each other and forgot about that "incident" that happened back in the Cathedral between them.

Hours flew away while they welcomed every emissary, every nobleman from the South Kingdom. Gabriel knew that if they could get a use out of this marriage, it would be a diplomatic meeting to ensure the peace between France and the other kingdoms. Presenting a new royal couple had a meaning that the French empire was not loosening its strength but became stronger, gaining more ascendancy to provide the kingdom's power.

The Princess knew this meeting was held for the greater good, still, she felt useless. Her role was nothing more than to greet and smile at all the embassies - made her feel like she was just some kind of long-lost treasure who was shown to the noble audience as an attraction.

It just felt so humiliating. She wanted to talk about serious things with the other envoys - she was curious about how they lived and if they needed anything they could send them - but instead, she was forced to stay silent and don't do anything besides smile like a marionette. Félix, alongside Gabriel, however, talked through the whole night with the envoys.

The princess knew - until the crown wouldn't get on her head - she had no power and no words in the diplomacy.

Still, she was well aware of the fact that it was - just like most events like this - an exam for others to see how much she could handle situations like this, how much respect could she gain only by waving at the others. She had to know her place and act as perfectly as she just could.

The princess didn't even know what the time was when finally the meeting ended, following the ball for the Royal couple.

~~~

"I thought this day would never end!" Marinette thought to herself frustratedly as she made her way out of the ballroom - alongside Félix.

It felt like an eternity until the ball ended, which meant that the princess could finally wipe that fake smile down on her face that had been painting on her for hours now. Letting out a tired sigh, she could finally let out that deep breath she had been holding during the whole night. Finally, she was able to relax again.

At least,
that was what she begged for. But, there was a certain someone whose presence and the fact she was alone with him - not let her frustration vanish away.

Marinette really hoped the awkwardness between her and Félix would fade away after some hours but it was just even more insufferable as they kept walking next to each other in complete silence.

No matter how exhausted she was - after all, she had been up since the sunrise - her body was unable to relax. On the contrary, she could feel all of her veins tensing even more than before - as a glimpse of the wedding moments popped up in her head.

She was now all alone with Félix and they were about to sleep under the same roof. Although, Marinette had convinced herself that nothing would happen between them but - after all the memories of the wedding came back - she wasn't as sure about it as before.

Mari just couldn't comprehend what happened during the ceremony. It still felt like a dream or rather...

.. her biggest nightmare.