50.

He was still in surgery.

The rest of the family came to the hospital once they heard the news.

Bella sat on a tiny bench with her head tucked into Polly's shoulder. She wasn't crying anymore, didn't think she had any tears left.
Polly wrapped her arm tighter around the girl, reminding her that she was still there.

Everyone was anxious, but Bella felt numb now.

She couldn't get the image of him sitting on the staircase out of her head, and she won't feel better until she could see him again.

No one has said anything since they got here. The Shelby siblings, Michael, Polly and Bella were spread out around the hall waiting for news.

What felt like days later the doctor finally made his way down the hall to the family. As soon as he approached, everyone sat up, waiting to hear what he had to say.

Bella gripped Polly's hand so tight, Pol thought she might break it, but she didn't say anything.

The doctor cleared his throat, looking around at the bunch
"He's stable. As good as he can be for his condition." He informed the family

Bella left out a sigh of relief, loosen her grip on Polly's hand.

"When can we see him?" Polly asked, knowing that's what everyone wanted to know next

"You may go see him now, he's awake. But he cannot move, his head is restricted until he is healed more."

Arthur walked up to shake the doctors hand "thank you, doc."

With that the doc nodded and let the family be again.

It was almost an uncomfortable silence, no one moved just yet, still feeling relieved at the news

"You all should go see him first, I'll wait here." Bella finally spoke.

Everyone looks over at her, it was the first time she had spoken in hours.
Polly squeezed her shoulder "why don't you come with us, doll?"

Bella swallowed hard, shaking her head "family first. It's okay, I want you all to go"

Giving the sad girl a small smile, she nodded gesturing to the family to go to the room.

So she stayed sitting where she was, anxiously biting her nails.

He's okay, he's okay

She kept repeating in her head, but still no reassurance came.

Not too long after, the door down the hall started to open. Instantly she stood up making her way towards the existing family.

Polly gave her a sympathetic look, along with John who came out after her.
Arthur stopped when he got to her, giving her shoulder a squeeze before continuing.
The rest of family held similar expressions,
Ada stopped in front of her as well

"Would you like me to wait for you?" She asked carefully

Shaking her head "no. Go home to the kids, they need someone to be with them right now."

Ada looked hesitant, but agreed, joining everyone else leaving the hospital.

Placing her hand on the door, she stopped. Taking a deep breathe before finally pushing it open. The room was dimly lit, the only light coming in was through the windows.

There Tommy laid, on the bed in the middle of the room, with all kinds of metal placed carefully around his head to keep it in place.

Walking slowly towards him, a worried expression on her face.