The perks of library nights

Summary: Being stuck in the library with someone you hate sounds like a recipe for disaster. Surprising you and Wanda, the outcome is much better than you might expect.

Pronouns: not used || Warnings: enemies to lovers

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

Today's not a good day for you.

In Professor Rogers' class, the man assigned you a paper on the most specific subject possible. And after finding nothing about it on the Internet, you had to come to the campus library and look for a book like a Neanderthal.

But even the university's huge collection didn't seem to help you in your research. The only time you got anything truly useful was hours later, on one of the dusty shelves on the fourth floor.

There were very clear uses for each floor of the campus library. The first was for those who claimed to study but spent all their time chatting with their groups. The second was for those who really wanted to study, complete silence. The third floor... Well, let's just say you don't want to go there if you're not with someone.

But the fourth floor was the one where nobody went, constantly empty and abandoned by the library visitors. There were the books that were older and less sought after. And, of course, what you're looking for was right there.

As you were choosing which book seemed most useful to you, the sound of footsteps broke the monotonous silence of the floor and, with the curiosity, your gaze sought out the owner of the sound.

As soon as your eyes landed on the figure in the hallway opposite you, they immediately rolled back. The girl, who had also seen you there, grimaced before going her own way.

You and Wanda Maximoff have a rather intense history for people who hardly ever speak to each other.

It all began in elementary school, where you were inseparable best friends. With the passing of the years and the arrival of high school, however, everything changed completely, and what was once an intense friendship has turned into a fierce enmity.

Neither of you knows exactly how it happened. But now, attending the same college, neither of you seemed willing to do anything about it.

So your interactions with the brunette amounted to this: occasional exchanges of disgruntled glances.

And so you went on, each engaging in your own respective research, completely ignoring each other's presence in the room.

But it's getting late and you'd better hurry if you don't want to miss dinner. So, putting the books you'd need into your backpack, you head for the door.

To your surprise, the door's closed, which is unusual during the library's opening hours. But you just shrugged it off, approaching and bringing your hand to the doorknob.

Much to your surprise, the door was stuck.

Still, you tried to turn the piece of metal, pulling the door in unsuccessful attempts to get it open. With each futile attempt, your despair grew.

Perhaps because of the time, perhaps because she was attracted by the noise, Wanda walks toward the door as well, and you let out a frustrated huff, letting go of the knob and walking away from the door.

As you walk toward a nearby bookshelf, you hear the brunette struggling to open the door as well, and you roll your eyes in annoyance.

"We're stuck." She says after a while, more to herself than to you. But you let out a dry laugh as you sit down on the floor and rest your back on the wood of the bookshelf. "I noticed."

Wanda casts you an annoyed glance at your sarcastic comment, but soon mimics your position, sitting against one of the bookshelves in the same row as yours, a bookshelf between the two of you.

In absolute silence, you wait (im)patiently for a solution to come to mind. Or, what seemed more likely, some good soul coming to your rescue.

"Urgh, only a Professor Maw paper would get me stuck in the library." Wanda grumbles after a few minutes, burying her face in her hands in frustration.

"You're taking a class with Squidward?" You ask, surprised that the man hasn't retired yet. And then you realize you for some reason are making conversation with the brunette, and your mouth goes dry immediately.

Wanda raises her eyes to you at the same moment, equally surprised you've talked to her. And you're about to turn forward again and pretend nothing happened. But there's no sign of hostility on the girl's face, so you smile.

"Come on, the guy's just like Squidward." You say then, and it only takes a few seconds for Wanda to burst into laughter, agreeing, and you start laughing too.

"You think he plays the clarinet?" She asks, still laughing, and you smile amused as you say, "I don't know, but he totally has the vibe of someone who sucks at painting but thinks he's Picasso himself."

And so you start making fun of all the professors you don't like, laughing until your eyes fill with tears and your cheeks hurt.

With each passing minute you wonder why you spent so much time hating a girl as funny as Wanda. You had no way of knowing she was wondering the exact same thing.

The two of you have no idea how long you've been in there, but soon noises at the door catch your attention, and you look over just in time to see the janitor opening the door.

"What are you guys doing here?" Scott asks, a mixture of surprise and confusion on his face. "We got stuck." You answer at the same time, shocked that the fact had been forgotten in your minds for the previous moment.

"Oh. Yeah, this door sticks sometimes." The man says in a relaxed posture, taking a step to the side and clearing the way. "Well, you're free now."

You and Wanda exchange glances before standing up, but don't hesitate to do so. "Thanks, Mr. Lang." You say as you pass the man, who smiles with a nod before entering the room you were just in.

As you walk down the stairs, you and Wanda are surrounded by silence again. This silence, however, was nothing like the one before.

This one was hesitant and full of expectation, and you only found the words to speak when you're already outside the library. "You know, I took a class with Professor Maw last semester and I must still have my notes. I can send them to you if you want."

"For real?! That would help me a lot, thank you!" Wanda exclaims as her face lights up and you smile shyly as she starts looking for something in her backpack. "Here, let me give you my number."

You wait in silence as Wanda picks up a pen. Instead of taking a notebook from your backpack, you offer her your hand, and the brunette smiles as she writes down her phone number on your skin.

After that, she puts the item back in her bag, and you look at the numbers on your hand before looking at her again.

The two of you just stare at each other for a while, searching your minds for what would be the best thing to say at a moment like that. Eventually, Wanda smiles, "See you around, Y/n."

"See you around." You repeat the goodbye with a nod of your head, and smile back when the brunette smiles before turning and walking away. After a moment or two, you do the same.

You didn't expect you'd end the day lying in your bed getting a Squidward meme from Wanda. But when that's exactly what happens, you don't mind.