Fourth of July

Summary: After an attack in New York, Wanda needs to face grief once again. This time, however, you wouldn't be on her side to comfort her.

Pronouns: not used || Warnings: sacrifice, death, grief, angst

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

On the Fourth of July, Hydra decided to make a massive attack on the United States, focusing on New York City, home of the Avengers.

The Avengers' approach was simple, contain them as quickly as possible to avoid further damage. You could do this, you have done this many times before.

But this time, the terrorist organization had made an addition to their army that you were not aware of: enhanced. It seems that the experiments started years ago didn't stop with Strucker's death after all.

It wasn't hard to see that they were stronger than you. With Thor being far away on Asgard, the only person actually able to withstand combat against the Enhancers was Wanda. All the rest of the team, with the exception of Steve, were ordinary people.

But even without any supernatural ability in your favor, a plan arises in your mind. It would work, you were sure of it. But you also knew what that plan would cost, and you couldn't ask anyone to do it for you.

Wanda didn't understand what you were doing at first. She only remembers your words echoing in the communicator attached to her ear. The words that made a chill run through her spine before she saw the huge explosion several meters away. Then her heart broke as the realization came.

Wanda. I love you. I'm sorry.

These were the words you said to her. Your last, addressed only to her. The words that would repeat endlessly in her mind and to which she would hold on to like an anchor.

But that was all on the Fourth of July.

Today, a few days after it happened, Wanda finally mustered up the courage to go into your shared bedroom, and get all your things out.

Not all of it, of course, there were things she wanted to keep. But most of it needed to go if she planned to move on with her life, so she puts some cardboard boxes on the floor.

"Wanda?" The redhead hears Natasha's hoarse voice after several hours of little progress, and she turns her back to your desk to look at the older woman. "Y/n left something for you." The blonde warns, lifting the envelope in her hand.

But just the mention of your name makes Wanda cry again, and the Black Widow rushes over to the younger one, wrapping her in a hug in an attempt to make her feel better, though nothing has any effect. "I'm so sorry, Wanda."

Only when the redhead stops crying does Natasha let go. Wanda thanks her as she takes the envelope in hand, admiring her name written in your handwriting, then asks to be left alone.

Natasha seems a little wary of the idea, but doesn't contradict, and tells the younger one that she will be in the kitchen in case she needs anything. Wanda thanks her with a small forced smile, and waits for the other woman to leave the room to sit on the floor.

Opening the envelope as carefully as she can, Wanda examines the folded paper inside with curiosity. As she unfolds it, tears start to pool in her eyes again as she sees it's a letter written by you.

But she blinks them away and, taking a deep breath, begins to read.

Hello, my love.

I honestly hope you never read this letter. But if you are, it means I am no longer there with you. And I'm sorry for that, I never meant to. In fact, my intentions were to spend the rest of my life by your side.