forty-five

Sunghoon entered Daeun's hospital room with trembling breaths. He approached her, who was lying unconsciously on the bed. Her face was covered with accident scars and bruises. Her head was wrapped with a bandage that had blood stains.

He carefully touched her hand before caressing it. He slowly sat down on a chair next to the bed and kissed the back of her hand.

"You're so strong, Daeun-ah."

"I am so sorry I couldn't be there to protect you."

"You are the strongest woman I've ever met."

"That's why I love you. I love you so much, I don't think I could ever live if you're not here with me."

"Please wake up," he breathed out in his quivering voice. Suddenly, the news that was on the TV caught his attention when he heard her name being mentioned.

Breaking news, the country's president is confirmed to have passed away today due to a serious injury to his head. He was believed to be assassinated by his daughter's ex-boyfriend, Ha Doyun. The assassination plan was created by the former politician and colleague, Joo Minsung.

Joo Minsung then was believed to have hired a lorry driver to crash into the president's daughter, Ahn Daeun, and she is now being treated at the Park Specialist Hospital. Joo Minsung and Ha Doyun will be set in prison for ten years before receiving the punishment of being hung to death.

The position of the country's next president will either be elected again or be given to Vice President Lee.

His heart dropped when he heard Daeun's father had died. She would be devastated if she found out she couldn't even attend his funeral. He gently brushed her hair with his fingers before kissing her forehead.

After a few days, things weren't as happy as before. Mrs Ahn was busy with the preparations for her husband's funeral and the dreadful day finally arrived. She stared at Mr Ahn's picture that was surrounded by candles and flowers.

She dropped to the floor and kneeled, feeling her heart slowly breaking. She felt her chest heavy and held it, trying to suppress her tears from coming out. Her husband's smile in the picture made her heart ache.

He doesn't deserve to be killed like this.

Heeseung who just walked into the room with his parents immediately ran to her, "Mrs Ahn! Are you okay?"

"Why must you prison them for ten years? Why can't you just kill them?" She finally burst into tears. The doctor sighed and pulled her into his embrace to comfort her.

Mr Lee and his wife walked toward the picture of the president and bowed as a sign of respect. They both closed their eyes to hold their tears back. They needed to be there for Mrs Ahn so they didn't want to cry in front of her.

"Yejin, I'll have Minsung and Doyun punished. That is all I can do. They deserve all the heavy punishments. I'll make them beg for their life and apologise for killing your husband, even when there's no use."

Mrs Ahn looked at Mr Lee after he said that. She nodded and smiled softly, "Very well," she paused before standing up slowly with Heeseung's help, "Congratulations on your promotion, Lee. You're the next president."

Mr Lee bowed, "Thank you."

Areum took a deep breath before entering Daeun's room with a bouquet of her favourite flowers. She gasped when she saw Sunghoon sleeping with his upper body resting on the bed.

"Sunghoon!" She rushed towards him before holding both of his shoulders, "You should go home and rest. You haven't gone to work, you don't even go back to your home. You need to rest properly. Daeun would be so sad to see you like this."

"She's not waking up, Areum."

"She will. The doctor said she's fine, right?"

He nodded and stretched himself before standing up, letting her sit on the chair. "Now go home and freshen up. Go to work and then I'll give you updates in case there is any progress or something."

"Thanks, Areum," he said before looking at his unconscious girlfriend for the last time before leaving.

He walked slowly through the hallway, earning worried looks from the other staff. "Uncle!" A voice shouted in front of him.

He looked at Jiah with a dumbfounded expression as he watched her run into his arms. His lips curved into a small smile as he picked her up, "What are you doing here, kiddo?"

She pouted before hugging him tightly, "Aunty Daeun will be fine, Uncle Sunghoon."

"Did you come here to comfort me?"

"Actually, I had to follow dad to work because there's no one at home to take care of me. So I thought I could visit you. You're my favourite uncle after all."

Sunghoon chuckled at her words, "What will Jay say if he hears this."

"He can live with it."

"What about your Uncle Heeseung?"

"Meh," she answered blankly. He laughed and carried her along with him to the hospital cafe.