A Special Last-Minute Christmas

Summary: During a mission, you decide to give Natasha what she never had: a real Christmas celebration.

Pronouns: not used || Warnings: none

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

"Y/l/n, Romanoff. Mission for you."

Those words were like music to your ears. Ever since you joined the Avengers a little over two months ago, having missions was all that kept you going during the long daily training sessions.

You never went on missions alone, of course. Usually your partners were either Steve or Natasha, since they were your mentors.

The missions with Steve were always easier, but this was due to the one and only fact that you had a huge crush on the other mentor.

Your feelings for the Black Widow were no secret to anyone, especially since you didn't even bother to hide them.

But despite the jokes and teasing from the other team members, neither you nor Natasha did anything about it. She was your mentor, after all. You only hoped that when this training was over she would see you differently.

Sitting in the kitchen as you eat your lunch, you and Nat get up as soon as you hear the Captain's announcement, walking over to him immediately.

The blond man then hands each of you a folder with some files, documents and photos. Important items for the mission. While Steve gives you both a mission briefing, you run your eyes over the information in the folder. When you see the date, you frown.

"Oh oh oh, hang on there, capsicle. That's on Christmas." Rogers looks at you reproachfully for both the interruption and the nickname, but soon he returns to his previous friendly posture. "I know, they're gonna take advantage of the buzz in town to transport the weapon."

"Yeah, but what about Christmas?" You insist. Christmas is your favorite holiday, almost a sacred date for you. Missing it was definitely not in your plans.

"Come on, Y/n, what better way to celebrate Christmas than by beating up Nazis?" Nat says next, trying to cheer you up. She smiles at you as she speaks and you chide yourself for feeling weak in the knees immediately.

You nod then, returning the smile. As a rookie, you were in no position to refuse assignments. Besides, spending time alone with the redhead by your side would never be a problem for you.

"The transport will be in the early hours of the 25th, you'll still have the whole day to enjoy Christmas." Steve says, also trying to make you feel better. "Okay." You reply, smiling at your mentors.

After that Steve says goodbye with a polite smile and leaves the kitchen. You and Nat arrange to meet the next day in the garage of the compound and you go to your room to study the mission information.

⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅

Hydra was pretty bold for running an operation like that in New York City, right under the Avengers' noses. Or maybe it was a smart move, no one would expect a chemical weapon discharge on the opposite side of town from the Avengers compound.

Whatever it was, at least you would have the opportunity to see the Christmas decorations. The sun is setting now, the lights have just been turned on, and for you this is the time when the decorations are at their prettiest.

"Wow, look at those lights." You say with an almost childlike happiness, looking around wondering. "Focus, Y/n." Natasha scolds, but has to hide a smile at your adorable behavior.

"I'm focused!" You retort, and when the redhead looks at you in disbelief, you stop facing her, causing her to stop as well. "On the east side of the street is a white van being loaded with products from the butcher shop by two guys in aprons. The aprons have dried blood stains on them, some lighter and some darker, indicating they're from different days, so nothing suspicious over there."