The Mirok

The mirok surged from the water. It belly crawled with shocking speed for a beast of so large a girth.

"Run!" Thrax shoved Rowan towards the tunnel. But he stayed rooted, broadening his stance as the mirok charged forward.

She skidded to a halt when she realized what he was doing. Horrified, she gaped as he dove out of the way of the mirok's snapping jaws and venomous fangs. But her relief was short-lived. With Thrax out of the way, the mirok's green gaze fixed on her instead.

"Rowan!" he bellowed.

Her heart clamored so loud that she could barely hear Thrax shouting for her to run. She knew that if she ran, she'd be dead. Yet if she stood there gawking, she'd be dead the sooner.

Without thinking, she dropped to the ground, her posture supplicating, her terror slithering in her belly. It was enough to surprise the mirok. It skidded to a slow, dragging gait. Rowan hastily rolled the moonstone towards the beast. "I didn't know it belonged to you!" she cried. "I'm sorry!"

The mirok watched as the moonstone rolled past, but its glare shot straight back to Rowan and it continued its slow advance with baleful hissing.

Her chest was like a vice of thorns, squeezing her heart. Red! she thought suddenly. Miroks love red! She ripped the wolf stone from her neck and flung it at the mirok's feet. She'd learned something pertinent from the Carthyrk mirok—the dearer the trinket, the greater the impact, and the more likely the mirok was to accept the gift. There was no treasure she cherished more than her red wolf stone.

The mirok came to an abrupt stop this time, its great viperous eyes narrowing over the necklace. It was close enough now to snap its jaws around her. It breath rolling in and out, low and menacing.

With her heart in her throat, Rowan held her hand up to stay Thrax. He looked on the verge of charging to his doom. Preternatural though he was, he was no match for this creature. And by the look of the eerie vishwa skulls scattered about, even the hive drones who entered never made it out alive.

It seemed to take all of Thrax's willpower to observe from the sidelines, but he did as she bade him and he held himself back as the mirok considered her offering.

It stretched its neck out, lowering its flaring nostrils close to her head. She held still as the mirok sniffed her. She shut her eyes snapped shut with a flinch as it vented a great snort, blowing her hair into her face.

Shaking, she peeled her eyes open and met its gaze. Finally, its eyes shifted back to the necklace. In that instant, she had her answer.

The hulking mirok plucked the necklace up gently with its fangs and steadily retreated to its lair beneath the water.

Rowan's bones melted with relief. A shuddering sigh burst forth as Thrax snagged his arms around her like steel bands, hoisting her against him, her back to his chest. Her cheek dropped to his bicep as he pressed a fierce kiss on her temple. He said nothing, just held her in his crushing embrace.

But they both looked up, startled, as something landed with a plink nearby. Her eyes bulged. It was her warg pendant! For a horrifying moment, she thought the mirok had changed its mind. But its green eyes were half-lidded now as it watched them from the lake, its body shrinking even as they watched. Her eyes flicked back to the stone.

The silver nixrath chain was gone. Removed! The rest of the mirok's colossal body lay hidden like a pearl beneath the ripples, only its nostrils and eyes were visible. It's horns and tusks, too.

With a jerk, Thrax was on his feet. He yanked her up, a mix of rage and fear rolling off him in waves. Though her legs were wobbly, he began ushering her out of the tunnel. "Out," he snarled under his breath. "Now."