FORTY-EIGHT

"Nobody stands in between me and my man." I dramatically sang before hopping on top of the bathroom counter.

Tobias smiled at me.

"It's me and Mr. Jones."

"Me and Mr. Jones," Tobias repeated.

I took my hair out of its bun before shaking it around.

I picked up my hairbrush. "What kind of fuckery is this?"

"You made me miss the slick Rick gig." I sung. "Alexa, off!"

The speakers cut off the song.

"Did you like my morning entrance?" I questioned.

"Can you do that every morning?" He asked.

I nodded. "There's no other option. Wait, you know Amy Winehouse too?"

"My sister and my mom used to blast her in the car all the time. I'd always be the background singer." He smiled while recounting the memories.

"Is your sister coming to the wedding?" I pulled my knees to my chest.

He paused for a moment. "I don't know."

"Brooks?"

"Hell no."

"What's up with that? If I'm overstepping let me know, but I'm just curious about why your siblings live halfway across the world."

"We just were never raised to love each other. Like obviously, we love each other because we're family, but we never bonded the way normal siblings bonded we were always trained to the mindset that we were each other's competition. Who was going to take over the family business and add on to it? We weren't taught to love one another or care for one another, we were taught strategies on how to become better than the other." He said. "But whenever my father wasn't around, Piper always showed me compassion."

He looked down at the counter. I grabbed his hand before kissing it.

"So when they turned eighteen, they moved out and across the country. They weren't leaving anything behind, I mean the family company, yes, but we weren't that close to where we would miss each other." Tobias said. "Sometimes I miss Piper, I mean, she's my older sister."

He sighed.

"But Brooks, we've been competing with each other since I can remember." He shook his head. "He was never my brother."

"I'm sorry." I frowned. "Did you and Piper have a good relationship?"

He nodded. "She was very sweet and loving. She was never afraid to stand up to my dad. When he used to yell at me, she defended me. She was an amazing sister."

"So why did you two stop talking?"

"Time differences." He shrugged. "I would text, but she wouldn't respond. We got too busy."

He let go of my hand before walking to the closet. I could tell he was done with the topic. I sighed while hopping off the counter and grabbing my toothbrush.

"Val asked if we could take her to the dealership to pick up her new car, I would but I can't drive."

"I forget you can't drive. What time?" He questioned.

"At two."

"Perfect." He looked at his watch. "That gives me some time to teach you your first driving lesson."

"What?"

~

"Okay." Tobias nervously sat in the passenger seat. He put on his seatbelt before grabbing the handle above. "You're going to tap the gas, please don't floor it, Athena."