Chapter 52

Sneha fidgeted with her fingers in nervousness as the attendants displayed one design after another. No doubt, each ring was better than the other. But what bothered her more was that the price tag was not attached anywhere. Only the weight of the rare stone was mentioned on the small tag.

They were first searching for men's designs so that they'd have more options in the women's designs to select from.

"Ma'am, please have a look at this one." The attendant showed the next ring to Sneha.

Viraj only sat beside her while letting her choose whatever she liked for him.

Sneha held the plain platinum ring with diamond crust.

"It's nice." She said again.

"You are saying 'nice' to every ring, Sneha." Viraj chuckled with an amused smile.

"Every design is good." She mumbled as a reply while looking at the jewellery box.

"If you have any specific design in mind, then please let me know. I'll bring those for you." The attendant piped in.

Sneha thought over it for a while before gathering the courage.

'Talk to him, Sneha! Or it will be embarrassing during payment.' She encouraged herself.

"Viraj... Can we talk?... Privately?" She asked slowly.

The attendant quickly understood her signal and stood up to leave and give them some privacy.

Viraj's brows narrowed on seeing her nervous and stiff expression.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Please don't get me wrong...But...I... can't afford these expensive rings." She honestly said.

She had calculated her savings accurately and she knew that the most she could spend were 5 lakhs. She would have done it gladly too. But not on Viraj!

"I know." He blankly replied.

She met his gaze and wanted to glare at him for being so blunt.

"So..." She mumbled not knowing what to say further.

"So?" He asked.

"So...If you are fine with it...I can buy a ring for you from a normal jewellery shop that is near my locality." She suggested.

"What's wrong with this shop? This is the best in Mumbai!" He noted with a shrug.

She touched her nose once before explaining.

"It will be expensive for me to buy it from here." She finally clarified.

"Why will you pay for it?" He asked, completely confused.

And this confused her in turn.

"Shouldn't I buy the ring for you?" She asked.

"No. I'll buy it." He said clearly.

"So...Should I buy the ring for myself?" She asked slowly.

"No. I'll buy it for you." He said, confusing her even more.

"Are you going to purchase both the rings?" She asked.

"Yes."

Sneha looked at the table with a frown. It didn't make any sense. Wasn't it the custom that the girl should buy the ring for the boy and vice versa?

"Okay..." She slowly nodded thinking it was better that way. No matter how selfish that sounded to herself, she was happy that she won't have to waste her money on him.