Chapter 13

Thirteen
𖧷

C.C.'s Spa And Resort

  My eyes were bloodshot.

  That was all I could notice while looking down at the water under our boat.

  We had fled the island as soon as we could gather a bunch of food we might need for some time. That was, two bowls of berries and veggies for my vegetarian ass and two pieces of steak Annabeth could enjoy for some time if I cooked it.

  Our luck wasn't that much on our side, and decided we should wait for a common occurrence to take us back to land, where we could find something, again. We sailed for hours, and I hated every single second of it.

  I tried entertaining myself with random things, but I ended up giving up after I found any other thing to do.

  At one point I made Annabeth's hair. I used her ponytail to make her a braid, but even that was still boring.

  I was just kicking my feet in the water when an idea popped in my mind. "Hey, Annabeth?"

  She frowned a little when she heard the tone of my voice, and me actually using her full name for once. "What's up?"

  "What's up with that prophecy Chiron is so worried about?"

  She pursed her lips. "Knowing about the future is dangerous. Knowledge isn't always good."

  "Your mom is the wisdom goddess."

  "I know! But every time heroes learn the future, they try to change it, and it never works."

  "But ... I'm not Percy. The prophecy is about a child of the Big Three, and not me. It's not my future. I wouldn't do much difference on that," I said. "The gods are worried about something a child of the Big Three would do when they hit sixteen. What is it?"

  Annabeth twisted her Yankees cap in her hands, the thing she always did when she was nervous or worried. "(y/n), I don’t know the full prophecy, but it warns about a half-blood child of the Big Three–the next one who lives to the age of sixteen. That’s the real reason Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades swore a pact after World War II not to have any more kids. The next child of the Big Three who reaches sixteen will be a dangerous weapon."

  "Why?"

  "Because that hero will decide the fate of Olympus. He or she will make a decision that either saves the Age of the Gods, or destroys it."

  I bit my lip. "Percy wouldn't do that," I scoffed, but unsurely. "The gods shouldn't be worried about that. If it is Percy–"

  Annabeth frowned.

  Then I realized ... Percy's... Well–you know.

  "Oh. Right," I muttered.

  “We’d only know that if he survived three more years. When Chiron first learned about Thalia, he assumed she was the one in the prophecy. That’s why he was so desperate to get her safely to camp. Then she went down fighting and got turned into a pine tree and none of us knew what to think. Until you came along. I really thought you were the one."