Chapter 32 - Rights

Dadisa continued with a smirk,"Why do you think, you are the first wife of your husband?". At her remark, Ranisa forgot breathing for a moment and let out a gasp.

Ranisa didn't believe her words but at the same time couldn't ignore her as well because she never lies.  Still not wanting to believe her words, Ranisa said,"No.. It's not true. It cannot be true. I'm the first wife of Ranasa. I'm the only one whom he married. I'm the only Queen of this Kingdom". Ranisa was blabbering to herself when Dadisa laughed and said,"Even now, you couldn't bring yourself to say that you are the only one whom Ranasa loved. Could you?". She continued laughing and then took pity on Ranisa's confused and scared face and continued to tell the truth.

"When my son got to know about the promise done by his father to yours, he was so enraged that he was ready to abandon this kingdom and go far away with his love. But it was me who stopped him which I don't regret. I reminded him of his oath which he took on the day of his crowning as 'Yuvraj'. He accepted that he couldn't abandon his subjects just because he couldn't face a situation in his life. I thought he got calmed down and accepted the marriage after the assurance that he can marry HER as his second wife later. But acting on his anger over his father, he married HER secretly on the day your engagement was announced", Dadisa said while remembering the incidents clearly.

Ranisa sat down on the nearby couch losing her strength to stand hearing the biggest truth of her life. Disregarding her state, Dadisa continued, "Mind it, the marriage was secretly done but properly done with all the rituals, infront of the God. He wanted to bring her to this palace before you but SHE herself didn't want to come here and become the source of destruction by creating war between your kingdom and ours. At the same time, she excused from her house in the name of spiritual tour without any guards or maids, to stay hidden in one of our seashore Palace as my son's wife. First wife. Her parents thought to give her some space and thought the spiritual tour would lessen her pain, so they didn't know. And after your marriage, Ranasa soon inherited your Kingdom since your brother died early and kept your father as incharge under him, which gave him peace that he can bring his First wife into the palace without any problems. But then you got that Promise from him. Although he didn't marry her after your promise, She didn't want to put him in a situation to choose between his wives. Or in other words, she wanted to live in a home not a battlefield. And that foolish woman thought of sacrificing her happiness for her husband and went away from our lives altogether. Her parents received a letter from her that she couldn't think of another person as her husband and decided to live her life serving the God. They still don't know that she already got married and left from here. After her departure, Ranasa read her letter and felt frustrated and angry, not on you but on himself. And I agree with him on that thought, it's his fault that she went away.  He used to be always frustrated and solemn when he was with her because he couldn't stand you nearby him. He couldn't see you in the place which only she should have got. It was not until your promise that he felt guilty for making you pregnant when she was not.  He started fighting with you for every small reasons and it was affecting your health during pregnancy. This made her feel guilty of ruining yours and his relationship, which made her take such an extreme decision. She also said in that letter to not disclose the truth or search for her, if at all he respected her love. And you know one thing, Pratap was born because she asked Ranasa to give your rights as his wife. Otherwise you know that he wouldn't have touched you just like all these years, how Pratap doesn't have any siblings."

Ranisa didn't feel surprise about why they didn't have any other children but all the other things made her feel ashamed. All this time she was living a life of another woman and everything was bestowed by her. Ranisa couldn't help but think of herself in HER situation. "If I had been in her place, I would have fought tooth and nail for my rightful place in Ranasa's life, in this palace and my rightful position as the Queen of the Kingdom", Ranisa muttered slowly which was no more than a whisper but Dadisa heard that. "I know that. It is the difference between you and her. But I still think she made a mistake in the name of sacrifice. Sacrifice is worth if it gives peace and happiness to all the people while you struggle with the pain. Sacrifice is worth if it is made at the right time, for the right person and for the right reason. In her case, all the three are wrong. May be if she stayed, she could have had children with Ranasa. May be if she stayed, Pratap need not shoulder the entire responsibility of the kingdom on his head while he had other siblings. Many more possibilities but one thing I'm sure, you wouldn't have changed. You would have done everything to make everyone's life a hell not because of your jealousy but because of your greed for power."

Ranisa had nothing to counter her mother-in-law's allegations. Tears pooled in her eyes for ruining her own life as well as the ones around her due to her greed for being a Queen and later as Rajmata (Empress Dowager). She let her tears fell. Dadisa was about to leave when Ranisa asked,"Do you know where is Jaiwanta Bai?" Hearing her name in the palace after this long, made Dadisa feel surreal, after all she had seen that girl grow up to woman infront of her. "I don't know", she replied while trying to keep her voice steady. Dadisa couldn't help imagining what all struggles the young woman had to face in this cruel world while she had never been outside the palace without anyone by her side.

Dadisa turned around to leave and prepare for jauhar as even though she came as a guest, she couldn't abandon her family and people in such a bad time. And telling this hidden truth before dying made her heart and mind at peace. Just then she saw Anamika standing at the entrance of the chamber with a scroll in her hands. Dadisa was surprised for a sudden moment but then she didn't mind Anamika knowing the truth, after all everyone is going down the fire and moreover the one from whom they had hidden the truth till now, had already got the truth. May be the purpose of her visit is more than simply supporting Anamika and seeing her great grandchildren. Anamika only heard half of their conversation from which she got to know that there was another lady, Jaiwanta Bai, who is Ranasa's first wife and Ranisa's relationship with Ranasa is not as cordial as it seems from outside. Anamika didn't know the entire story of their marriage and seperation.

Anamika came inside the chamber and greeted them both but Ranisa still didn't react due to the shocking information she received. Anamika gave the scroll to Ranisa and explained to both Ranisa and Dadisa that she is using the blank scroll given by Pratap, to take full authority over the Kingdom. And also announced her decision that jauhar will not take place unless Yuvraj send a letter informing their defeat. Ranisa couldn't retort anything due to two reasons, one is Yuvraj's seal in the scroll and another being her conscience mocking her that she is not the real Queen to refute Anamika. Dadisa was surprised at the turn of events but kept mum. "These father and son has same genes to always grant blank promises. Atleast one of them is wise enough to think with a calm mind rather than getting impulsive due to emotions before granting these promises", Dadisa thought in her mind.

Anamika went away from their chamber and proceeded to control the panic among the people. She had ordered for the people to stay in the safe houses for women and children while the remaining men come to the palace to get the arms, just in case there is some ambush from the enemies behind the back. Within another hour, a guard came and informed her that the enemies flag has been taken down and once again their flag is hoisted on the pole. After hearing that, Anamika felt relief wash over her. Atleast they are safe for now, but she still asked the people to stay as ordered until next letter comes back from Yuvraj. She had already sent a letter to Yuvraj explaining the situation so she is awaiting a reply. After everything is done, Anamika went to her birthing chamber to look for her children who didn't make a fuss today, as if sensing their mother's distress. Looking at the sleeping babies who has a smile on their faces, Anamika said, "I have a gut feeling that your father is coming soon".

-----------------------------------------------------------

Precap: Yuvraj and Ranasa returning with victory followed by Coronation and naming ceremony

Hi guys,

Unlike other chapters which I write in a single day at a stretch, this one I started writing 3 days back to give an early update. But it took too much rewriting and editing that early update was not possible.

This chapter shall be boring but next chapter onwards the story will move fast.

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.