All I Want is Another Chance

With warm-ups finished, the team was just waiting for Coach Bombay to show up. Everyone was talking at once, trying to figure out what to do. Time on the clock was running down and coach had still yet to show up. "Hey, team! Hey, team. We're gonna be great today, right? Where's Gordon?" Silence overcame them, as they stared at Mr. Tibbles who was speaking to them from behind the bench. This was the man who ruined their coach. 

"You tell us," Luis responds to his question. No one had a single idea where Coach Bombay could be, but everyone was curious as to why he wasn't on the bench with them. Was he ditching them for the sponsors? Or maybe the Iceland trainer?

"Team USA, I'm sorry. Without a coach behind the bench, you'll have to forfeit the game," the ref informs them. They were all here to play, why would they have to forfeit. They didn't need Coach Bombay telling them what to do.

"But you can't do that," Adam says. There was no way they were going to forfeit this game. If they forfeit, that means they're out of the tournament. They weren't ready to go home. 

"We have one," Charlie exclaims. Everyone looked at him, confused. Their only coach was nowhere to be found. What was Charlie planning? Who was going to pose as their coach? "Miss MacKay!"

The team watches on as Charlie talks to Miss MacKay. She may not know anything about hockey, but she was their only chance at staying in the tournament. She looks at the team, noticing them agreeing with Charlie. She knew she had to do something. "What are you waitin' for, the ice to freeze? Let's play!" 

Germany was throwing their weight around, knocking Team USA to the ice. Ellie sat on the bench, watching her team and Guy gets hit right in front of them. "Oh! We look tired. We need to, uh... trade places." The ones who sat on the bench looked at their stand in coach, confused. She definitely didn't know hockey lingo. 

"What?" Charlie asks her, wanting to clarify what she meant. If she just meant trade places on the ice, they were still going to be tired. Ellie assumed she meant to change players, but she was going to let the boys figure this one out for themselves.  

"New players."

"Oh, say, change it up," Charlie informs her of the correct lingo. However, she was going to have to scream instead of speaking it, so the players on the ice could hear. Miss MacKay was learning fast, and Ellie was really proud of her. Not only was she a great tutor, but she made one hell of a coach. 

Ellie went out on the ice, replacing Connie. Germany was a tough team, but she had faith in the team. They had a renewed energy after playing Russ and his friends. If they played like they did in the first two games of the tournamnet, they could win this game easy. It would put them one step closer to a chance at winning the gold medal, the reason they came here. 

The familiar duck call had taken her attention away from what her teammates were saying at center ice and to the stands. "Look who finally shows up." Ellie nodded with Fulton in agreement. Coach was just a little late to the game. They had made it this far without him, so they definitely didn't need him now. It seemed everyone was enjoying having Miss MacKay as the coach over Bombay. 

"Just ingore him. Averman, take the face off." They decide to take Jesse's advice and get set up on the ice, ready to continue play. Coach Bombay had ditched them when they needed him the most, so why did he deserve their attention. 

"Come on in! Let's go, come on." Coach Bombay was now on the bench, ushering the rest of the team to join him. Jan had taught him a lot during their conversation and he knew he had a mountain to climb when it came to getting the Ducks to trust him again. "Team. Guys. I was wrong and I'm sorry. I forgot about the team. And the team is all I have. All I want is another chance. Just one more shot. I'm back, okay? Believe me." 

They were now in the third period with the score tied 2-2. Jesse calls out the flying V, and the team makes their way up ice. They get past the Germany defense and Averman gets a goal, putting them in the lead. 

The next day, the team was sitting outside the stadium with Coach Bombay and a cut out of Coach Bombay. "I've had a lot of distractions since I've been here in LA. This is a distraction." Holding the cardboard cut out version of himself, Coach Bombay informs the team that being sponsored by Hendrix was a major distraction. Of course, he got heckled for the cardboard cutout. "This is a fire in a barrel. This is a distraction in a fire in a barrel. Any questions?" 

His message resonated with the team loud and clear, earning him a round of applause and cheering. The old Coach Bombay was back and hopefully here to stay. Now that they had beat Germany, they only had to beat two more teams before getting to the gold medal game. It was time to get to work. 

Author's note:

A shorter chapter, but we're getting closer to the end of D2. Have I prepared myself? Absolutely not because I love this movie, but I have so many good ideas planned for D3!! Also, some Ellie and Adam drama might possibly be in the works...