Chapter 45

A/N: Reader, if you are familiar with the elements of story structure, then the phrase, "Dark Night of the Soul" will ring some bells. It is the point in the story (usually at the end of the second act) when your protagonist is at their lowest point and all hope seems lost.

Having your main character hit rock-bottom might seem like a terrible idea, but there's a purpose to this story beat:

It leaves them nowhere to go but up.

The next two chapters are going to comprise this book's "Dark Night of the Soul". Things might get a little rough, and you might find yourself wondering, "What the hell is this author doing?"

Believe me, I get that reaction, but, please, hang in there – I swear, there is a method to my madness.

Waiting in the lobby of the Belhurst, I checked my reflection in my phone screen, trying to make sure that my hair was behaving and that my lipstick hadn't smudged.

Satisfied, I slipped it back into my purse and ran my hands down the fabric of my skirt for the thousandth time, as though it had somehow managed to get disheveled in the last thirty seconds.

Looking down at myself, I felt a sharp pang in my gut.

This was the last dress I had.

It was either this or go on our date wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Not that I didn't consider it...

Swallowing, I rubbed my thumb against the soft, blue material.

Evan's favorite color...

Mom didn't know.

She'd probably seen a new dress hanging in my closet and packed it just in case.

She couldn't have known that I'd bought this for Evan's birthday.

When I saw it in the store, I knew it was perfect. Daring enough to showcase my body, but not so daring that it would scandalize his aunt and uncle.

It was the dress I'd be wearing when we finally confirmed that we were mates.

Or, it would have been.

If we were mates...

I shook my head, sighing.

It's just a dress now.

Glancing around the lobby, I noticed a familiar face behind the guest services counter.

Walking over, I asked, "You're still here?"

Iris nodded, stifling a yawn. "Covering for a coworker."

"You've been here since this morning!"

She shrugged. "They're paying me back by taking my Saturday shift." Smirking, she whispered conspiratorially, "My roommate's uncle has a lakeside cabin, and he's letting her borrow it for her birthday weekend."

Imagining it in my head, I had to admit, "That sounds really fun."

Iris smirked, "You have no idea!" Then her eyes caught on something behind me. Glancing my way, she gestured toward it.

I turned to see Dwayne crossing the lobby, magnificent and mouthwatering, looking like sin and salvation, all in one.

I felt my heart flutter as he smiled at me.

Turning back to Iris, I whispered, "Thank you again for everything!"

"Just remember that gratitude when it comes time to tip, okay?"