xxxii. doughnuts

☆✫❣︎𖤐♥︎𖦹𖣴// thirty two• 𝖽𝗈𝗎𝗀𝗁𝗇𝗎𝗍𝗌

☆✫❣︎𖤐♥︎𖦹𖣴
// thirty two
• 𝖽𝗈𝗎𝗀𝗁𝗇𝗎𝗍𝗌

Max stood by the luggage claim with hands grasping the bright blue broad in her hands, keeping herself on her toes watching everyone pass her but her eyes were looking for a certain redhead.

"Max, you need to be patient." Max turned her head to the right at Nancy Wheeler who was as thrilled as the girl, but didn't want to show her excitement.

"I don't do patience, I mean it's Julia we're talking about, haven't seen her in forever and now she's back, it feels-" Max paused when she heard footsteps approached the girls in matter of minutes.

Julia hands grasped the handle of the luggage wearing a grin on her face, locking eyes with Nancy who smiled brightly at her. "Hey- oof."

The girls collide into a group hug, laying heads over each other's leaving no space between them, just enjoying their moment of reunion, ignoring all the wheels of the luggage rolling around them and the crowed airport behind them.

Max exhaled in Julia's arms, wanting to stay in them. Needed the comfort of someone that remind her of Billy. "I'm so glad your back."

The two girls slowly pulled back out from Julia's arms helping her with her belongings before walking towards the exit to Nancy's car.

-

"How have you been Max?" Julia seemed to find herself asking, after a long drive back from the airport the two girls sat in a diner across from each other, Nancy couldn't join them due to her work schedule at the school.

Max sighs picking at her now cold fires, she didn't want Julia to think she was weak after losing her brother, everything went down hill after that, she wasn't as close as she was with her friends, her was mother was now a drunk, her stepfather left them.

"I'm okay." Max forces a smile on her face, Julia cocked her head to the side feeling the sadness in Max, watching the girl fiddle with her hands from under the table.

"Max, you don't have to pretend." Julia spoke softly elbows resting on the edge of the table, Max glanced up meeting her eyes. "Not with me."

Max sighs blowing away a stray of her hair away from her face. "I'm not okay, I haven't been for a really long time, I just- I just can't talk to my mom about it. She doesn't know about anything that happened a year ago."

Julia nodded slowly pressing her back against the seat. "I barley talk with my friends anymore since they are always "busy" now and do their own thing, Robin she's working, so is Nancy. Steve I- I don't think he likes me after nearly killing him in a car when I was 13." Max chuckled lightly.

Julia hummed smiling remembering the night, it was the same day her and Steve both confessed their feelings for each other.

"I don't speak with el, or Will, because they never answer when I ring them, but you." Max says. "You answered and that made me see a whole different person in you, at first I found you scary cause of the whole- witch mojo thing. No offense."

Julia shook her head. "None taken." When a man approached their table with a basket filled with fresh fries placing them down on the center along side two covers strawberry donuts.

Max glanced up. "Oh, sir, we didn't order these."

"Don't worry about it sweetheart, it's on the house." The man winks turning to Julia. "Where's that boyfriend of yours, you know with the great hair?"

Julia snickers scrunching her nose. "Uh, he's working, yeah, just me and Max today, thanks Dex." The man nods smiling leaving the two girls alone to enjoy the rest of their meal.

"How do you know him?" Max asked picking up a doughnut from the plate, Julia hummed playing around with the red straw.

"Steve and I use to come here after work, the last time we came here was on a raining Wednesday night, they were just about to close but Steve managed to pull some strings with an old friend." Julia stared out the window to her right, glaring at the couple sharing a milkshake before turning back to Max. "That's how I know Dex."

Max could tell Julia wasn't happy when she spoke about Steve, watching her watch the couple made her feel sad for her. "Well, these donuts are great."

Max decided best to change the subject, Julia chuckled reaching forward taking a bite feeling the warmth of the jelly, licking away the fallen jelly from her finger.

"Gosh, you're right."

-

"You can stay here, it's an extra room when we moved in." Max and Julia had just arrive to the trailer park where she and her mother had moved too. "I know it's not much-"

Julia cuts her off, sitting the the made bed placing her bag beside the drawer. "It's perfect, Max. Don't worry to much."

"Okay, well. I'll leave you to do what you do, I gotta catch up on some homework." Max says before leaving out the door, Julia stood up from the bed walking towards the window seeing nothing but trailers.

Julia wasn't going to lie that she felt the power of Hawkins when she arrive, it was much stronger, she didn't understand why it was but she wanted to find out. "Hey max!" Julia walks out the room into the hallway. "I'm gonna head out."

"Okay, be safe and take the house key." Max shouted back probably to busy with her homework, Julia quickly ran back for her jacket before walking out the house with the keys in hand.

"Hey." Julia turned around finding a man, he couldn't be older then twenty. "You new around here?"

Julia shook her head shoving her hands inside her jacket. "Nope, uh, I'm just visiting. I'm sorry, am I supposed to know you... or something?"

The boy shook his head grinning softly at her. "No, but you could." Julia tilted her head lips parted at his boldness. "Sorry, that was weird, I don't know why I said that, you're just really- pretty. Shit, Sorry, again. I'm Eddie, Eddie Munson."

Julia shrugs shaking her head with a smile. "It's cool, I'm Juliana hop-" The girl hummed pausing. "I'm Julia Byers."

-