ᶠ ᵒ ᵘ ʳ ᵗ ʸ ⁻ ᶠ ᵒ ᵘ ʳ

March 24th, 1986

March 24th, 1986

AVEN'S EYES FLICKED UP FROM the mud-covered doormat as the door was pulled inwards, creaking on it's hinges as it opened in the early morning breeze. The person on the other side of the entrance, standing with one of their hand's running down the length of their face, let out a tired sigh before glancing up from the floor.

"What the fu-" they rubbed their eyes before looking back wildly, their mouth dropping open as Aven let out a thankful breath of relief.

"Dustin." She instantly pulled him into a hug, balancing her chin on his head as she let out a sob. She couldn't believe it.

"Aven, what- what's happening? Please tell me this isn't a hallucination because-"

"It's me, Dustin. It's me." He let out a sob too.

"I missed you," he murmured into her torn jacket, his tears soaking into the thick material as her hand found it's way running up and down his back in comfort.

"I missed you too, so much," she whispered as she pulled away and bent down, cupping his cheeks as he looked into her eyes, "so, so much." She stifled a laugh as she smiled, ducking her head as the tears on her cheeks began to glisten in the sunrise.

"People- people are downstairs," he told her as he began to laugh along with her, their insanity spiralling down upon meeting each other once again. He quickly wiped his tears away with the sleeve of his grey shirt, the material damping to a darker shade as the liquid on his skin disappeared.

He turned around and started to walk through the hall and down the wooden steps, Aven taking a minute out in the fresh air to take a breath before following after him.

Dustin was confused - and yet undeniably happy. The person he thought was dead, his soulmate, was back. He'd seen it with his very own eyes, watching from the top story as the girl disappeared in the Mind Flayer's grasp, thought to be never seen again. He'd cried, gone to her funeral, mourned, and accepted - and yet there she was. She was still alive.

"Guys, there's someone you might like to see," Dustin grinned as he walked down the basement steps, getting to the bottom before falling onto the sofa, hands held behind his head as he smugly smiled over at Lucas and Steve. The other two boys stared at him with confusion before hearing another set of feet trailing down the stairs. With furrowed brows, they turned to find the culprit standing on the second last step, eyes holding an emotion no one had ever seen.

Steve was already standing before he recognized who he locked eyes with. He locked eyes with her.

"Holy shit," he whispered before sprinting towards her, Aven doing the same. With a laugh, she leaped into his arms. He lifted her off the bottom step as she wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her head into the side of his hair as she cried with joy.