Chapter 21

"No. I will never and you should never learn. End of the discussion." was what Scaramouche wanted to reply to your request, but your words, your tone, your almost teary eyes told him you needed something stable to rely on, you needed comfort more than anything in that moment. So, he went for a more diplomatic "I'll think about it", kissed your forehead and let go of your face. But that didn't satisfy you.

"Why? You said you've beaten up some guys yourself too, and outside the club, that night, it was clear you know your ways in those situations. What do you have to think about?"

"I- I don't even know if I'm able to teach, I don't even know if I do use some techniques or if I just go with the gut instinct. Let me think about it for a while" It was a lie, he was able to teach people how to "beat the shit out of someone", as he would say. He did it more and more times in the Fatui, training and fighting. And of course he moved with techniques, throwing fits at random would never take anyone anywhere. But he had to take time. Now you were in a fragile situation and you wouldn't take a no as an answer, but maybe if time passed you would have eventually realized it was a bad idea and you would give up yourself. That's what he hoped for.

"Mh, ok. I'll wait for your decision, then"

"Good. Now, eat that cotton candy before it melts with this weather"

"You first" you held the cotton candy out, near his face.

"Huh...?"

"You said you would take a bite from mine, did you lie?"

"I was just saying something to make us look like a couple, I don't really want to eat yours, you can have it all"

"But it's a lot for me, and one bite wouldn't hurt, come on! My arm's starting to hurt!"

He sighed and lifted his hands to rip off a piece from that beautiful cloud of sugar in front of his eyes, when the cloud moved away, out of his reach, and you lectured him like a mother "Not with your filthy hands! You touched everything with those, even money! Do you know how dirty money are?! Someone could have taken a poop and touched those money you just used without washing their hands!"

"Yes mum, ok mum, I understand. So how am I supposed to eat it?"

"With your mouth, duh. How normal people eat, just bite"

Scaramouche leaned in and took a bite out of the cotton candy, declaring right after his approval "It's good"

"Of course it is, it's cotton candy!"

"You're such a baby. And with those butterfly clips even more. Anyway, remember it was you who insisted I bite on it, don't make a fuss later because of it, and don't you dare wasting it"

"Uhm?" you turned to the side to look at him with a questioning look, the cloud of sugar in front of your mouth so you don't even need to take a break in between the bites.

"Oh, are you the type to let anyone of your friends drink form your water bottle?"

You nodded as you let the candy melt in your mouth, leaving you satisfied only by the taste. Then, you figured what he meant "Oh my archons, did you thought I would throw away the part you bite?! DO YOU THINK I'M A CRIMINAL?! IT'S COTTON CANDY WE'RE TALKING ABOUT! NO SWEETS HAVE TO BE THROWN AWAY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE"

"Shit, calm down, I'm sorry, ok? I'm sorry, I will never say something so brutal like that ever again"

You two walked for a while in the park, you finished your candy, he chose a good spot under a giant tree and you stayed there to chat and play some childish games for a couple of hours, before going to the other side of the park. It was now almost 12am, and all the ducks were taking their usual nap around the little lake, next to the turtles. Since you ate a lot for breakfast, it was still quite early and all the heat didn't help neither of you gaining more appetite, you decided to go for a simple crêpe at the small stall near the lake, seating down on the plastic chairs with one of the most famous ice-cream brands. That's the real taste of summer.

"Let's go back, before it starts feeling like we're in a hoven" Scaramouche stated, as he was already getting up, right after you finished your dessert.

"Yessir! You're right, it's starting to get really hot here... Thanks the archons I have the air freshener at home! Can't wait to get back in there and turn it on"

"Don't set the temperature too low, you'll catch a cold because of the difference from the outside weather"

"We would. But don't worry, I know how to use that, you know"

"We...?"

"Oh... I thought you would stay with me, but if you have to go and just want to, sure. I mean, I don't mind it, of course. Not that I don't want you to stay, it's just that- that I don't want to force you, yes" You didn't even think about the possibility of him going away. After all, he has his life and his house and his things to do, it was natural for friend to part ways after meeting for a while. You were already lucky you were seeing him a lot those days. But somehow, the thought of him leaving didn't cross your mind at all. You somehow assumed he would have stayed with you all day, maybe the next day. You grew attached to his comforting aura and his presence, to his voice and his laugh, and you unconsciously desired him to be around you more and more, all the time. Now, that unconscious dream floated on the surface and you realized what tricks your mind was playing you. And you were utterly embarrassed.

"Calm down, no need to panic" His voice managed to snap you out of your train of thoughts once again "I don't think anything bad about you for thinking that we would stay together all day. Instead, I'm grateful you thought about it, and if you would like to, I would love to spend more time with you too"

What was he doing...? He was never this sweet, maybe the heat damaged his brain this time for real. How could he be suddenly so sweet and open with you? Even before going out, what was that on the couch? What in the world was that...? He was so confusing, he really was making your brain lag and crash. "U-Umh, that's... that's good then, I have plenty of board games I usually play with only at Christmas, with my family, maybe it's time to remove some dust from them. Or- or, if you don't like board games, I do still have the Wii I had when I was a kid, we could play a little with that if you want. I don't think I have a lot of games thought..."

"It's ok, I like board games. And then, I liked cooking with you yesterday, maybe we can cook today's dinner too? But I'll have to leave before it gets dark, my house has no one in so I should guard it, I guess. What a bummer..."

He was looking at you with the side of his eyes, a small smile cracking on his lips. Sure,he was listening to you, but his brain was elsewhere. <<When yesterdayshe said I was teasing her... I swore I would try harder to make her understand I'm not joking around, I really like her. Ugh, how could she think I was joking when I literally was about to kiss her?! You dumb little thing, really... But I swear, again, I will be able to make you see how much I love you, and you will be mine. Whatever it takes, I'll shower you with love, just you watch>>