Off to the Races

Dearest reader,

It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges. Well, what if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed. Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister.

"Why is it that I can never get rid of you, Bridgerton?" Javier rolled his eyes as he continued his way into his office. Today the entire ton was heading to the races and once he had finished getting a pristine shave Anthony had made his way over to his brother-in-law's home. Anthony turned away from the painting that was handing in the foyer and followed after Javier not waiting for an invitation.

"Well, now I am invested in your adventure this summer. Besides you asked for my help, remember?" Anthony responded as he made his way over to the whiskey station and poured them both a small amount. Javier took the glass and casually made his way to stand beside his window in thought. Anthony took his place in his now usual chair in front of the large desk. "I also wanted to know if you had chosen anyone yet. It sure appeared like you did that night at the ball."

"Miss Sharma." He answered simply, causing Anthony frown slightly

"Miss Sharma?" Anthony asked, confused.

"Miss Edwina Sharma. Not the sister." Javier clarified after taking a sip. Anthony didn't respond as he waited for the man to continue. "Miss Edwina will suffice."

"And does Miss Edwina return your affection?" Anthony asked and he couldn't help the small grin that was pulling at his lips. He was thankful that he never had to do this ridiculous dance of courting and the enjoyment of watching the man that had hated him suffering would always bring a smile to his face.

"Not yet." Javier said with a sigh. She would have done if it not for–"

"The sister." Anthony finished as Javier drank the rest of the whiskey. Javier had told him of both run-ins with the older Sharma and Anthony loved the irony of the situation.

"Though she need not trouble me. Every rose has its thorn after all."

Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

"Come now, please say it?" Alina held her smile as she sat in the drawing room, Edmund in her lap as she played with him. "Say mama. I know you have it in you, my love. Ma. Ma. Just like that!" The little eight month old babbled and giggled at her instead. Violet smiled across from her and continued to work on her sewing.

"Darling it's too early to expect his first word. Anthony hadn't said his first word until he was a year and a half. Eloise was just a little over a year old so give him time." Violet said, glancing up to her and the baby before looking down. Causing Alina to sigh slightly.

"I know, but I just can't wait. Anthony swears that he is going to say Dada first, even after Edmund spends most of the day with me." Alina explained as Edmund took interest in her necklace and thought it would make a wonderful toy to play with.

"He only says that to tease you." Eloise chimed in, not looking up from her copy of Lady Whistledown.

"That may be, however if he wins this I will never hear the end of it." Alina placed herself on the floor and sat little Edmund on the grown beside her to play as she thought back to how strange Anthony had been acting earlier that morning but she was quickly pulled out of her thoughts by the arrival of Penelope Featherington.