Chapter 11 Part 3: Sense And Insensitivity

3rd POV

  Luz is going toward the exit. She sees one of the many posters of King around the building. "They got his good angle," Luz sighs, before noticing a shadow falling over her. Two large reptilian-like guards are in front of her. "Uh, can I help you?"

  The guards step aside to reveal Piniet, "Perhaps. I hear you're an aspiring writer," Piniet smiles.

  Luz nervously laughs nervously.

  Meanwhile in the theater in the covention center. The stands are packed. Hanging in the center of the theater is a towering banner for Ruler's Reach 2.

  The crowd cheers King's name as his fans asks questions

  "I can't wait for the sequel!"

  "If it's disappointing in any way, I will spend every day of my life trashing it!"

  At that last statement, King became nervous as he looked at the audience from behind a curtain. King rambles as he paces, "oh boy. Oh, man, Aw jeez. Hemming. Hawing. Piniet, I gotta come clean. We can't announce book two. I can't write without... withou--"

  "Without your writing partner? Piniet smirks evilly. He and King enter a dressing room.

  King gasps as he sees Luz is inside a translucent purple box.

  Luz gasps, "King!"

  "Luz!" King exclaims as he runs up to Luz.

  "That snappily dressed lizard trapped me in this shrinking box," Luz explains.

  Piniet tightens his fist. The box shrinks and hits Luz on the head, causing her to scream and fall. "You gotta get me out!"

  King turns to Piniet, "what are you doing with her? Let her go!"

  "You wrote Ruler's Reach together. So if you don't want her crushed, you'll write together again." Piniet says ominously as Luz and King both give him kicked-puppy expression. "Oh, don't give me that look. Some of the best books were written in literal crunch time."

  The box shrinks again.

  "That's a toxic mentality that contributes to burnout and unrealistic expectations! King, do something!" Luz argued.

  King growls at Piniet, "set her free, now!"

  "Not until I get my best-seller. You'll recall you are under contract," Piniet retorts as he pulls the contract out of his jacket.

  When the paper starts to glow, King suddenly was lifted into the air. "Ah! Nyeh!"

  A hole opens in the box and King was flung into the box with Luz.

  Piniet drops paper and a pen into the box, "make your deadline, or you'll never be able to hold a pen again. Just like..." Piniet then holds up Jon De Plume, who is now shrunk into a cube.

  "Help me!" Jon De Plume pleas desperately.

  King and Luz looked in horror, "No!"

  Piniet opens a briefcase, in which are dozens of other cubed authors. They scream for help. Piniet puts Jon De Plume into an empty slot and closes the briefcase. "I'll leave you to it. Looking forward to your next volume!" Piniet says as he leaves, closing the door behind him.

  Luz and King gasp as the box shrinks again.

  "We're not getting out of here until we write a book, and that'll take forever! We're cube meat!" King says worryingly.

  "Well, I have my story," Luz says as King looks at her with resistance. "But it's all hugging and crying! I can't put my name on that."

  Luz frowns at King, "that's why we are in here! Because YOU, can't compromise! All I wanted was to write a dumb story with my friend."