Chapter Thirty-One

"The worst part of being okay is that okay is far from happy

"The worst part of being okay is that okay is far from happy." - Anna Todd

After returning to GHQ an hour before midnight, Valen and Christian discussed how they were not too pleased with the fighting capabilities witnessed in each sector. However, the pair agreed that those not in sectors seven and nine would manage to survive in battle - bloodied and bruised, yes, but they'd live. They will re-assess Alek and Nikolai's Warriors in thirty days, and the verdict will determine the fate of their Titles.

Following the Trials, Warriors from all sectors will be formally re-evaluated to confirm their Untitled positions, and the re-evaluation of the rest of the twelve Generals will follow.

Once dismissed, Valen was out of the General's Lounge before Christian could say another word.

He walks with purpose, his steps long and quick as he swiftly exits GHQ.

The stationed guard at the barriers jumps when Valen appears. The General slides his keycard over the scanner and strides away. The air that follows causes the guard to sway before falling onto the gate, hands holding him upright from suddenly weak knees. Quickly, he bares his neck in Valen's direction, the skin hot with pain.

An engine roars to life.

Valen has one thing on his mind, and one thing only: to remove the scent of the now hand-less female off of his skin. He has been itching to claw at his arm, wishing to bleed instead of harbouring the putrid odour for a moment longer. But the need to protect his skin overpowered his desires for comfort, so he resisted. For hours.

Sliding on his helmet, fastening the chin strap, and kicking back the motorcycle stand, Valen is on his bike and speeding away without a moment to spare.

When Alia spoke with Christian after they left the Tavern together, she was led in a direction she'd never travelled before. Which was almost every direction other than the ones towards her home and the training centre.

Their time together allowed for Alia to ask questions regarding Pack life, which revealed surprising details that only made her admire her new Gamma that much more. When Christian claimed his Title, he set off to break any and all ties from the modern ways of ruling, which were seen by his mother, the previous Gamma. Delta Titles were completely disbanded and new Titles were created to bring prosperity and power back to those who held them: the Generals.