14 - of night walks and burning star

Abel might not be able to contemplate the reason why he instantly accepted Mairi's — even she asked about it — invitation, but he was far from complaining.

Night walks were explicitly defined within his scope of activities, where Rocky would happily trot beside him as the two explored through empty parks and neighborhoods. Not to mention, besides drowning himself in his fantasy world, he got nothing much to do. Not that his family cared where he was, anyway. Might as well disappear for weeks and they would never give a shit.

Catching with his breath, he pursued after Mairi, catching up with her speed. Crickets chanted a jarring chorus as they settled within the thickets surrounding them. Only the lights from the street lamps guided them through the path; anything outside was shrouded in total darkness. The brisk wind swept through their clothes, the cold puncturing through their skin.

Abel had not a faintest clue where the heck he was; he just went along with his friend. She was the one who wanted this, after all. However, he admitted her taste in choosing these kinds of places. He didn't even know he needed this. Nature is truly the best therapy. I'll bring Rocky here someday.

"I like hanging around here," she initiated, placing her hands on her back. "There's not too many people, so it's pretty secluded."

"Yeah, I can tell." Abel scanned around the area. A couple jogged past them, throwing brief smiles while the cosplayers bobbed their heads.

"Do you do night walks?" She glanced around her shoulder.

"Yeah. With my dog," he responded. "But I usually go to parks closer to my house."

"You got a dog? That's so cool." Mairi's flat tone... was way too off with the compliment. "What's its name?"

"Rocky. A border collie." The image of his innocent dog immediately melted his heart. "I took him in when he was just a small bean. He's like a brother to me."

"Small bean? That's a cute description coming from you."

If that comment wasn't ridiculing him, then Abel didn't know what was. He narrowed his eyes, but he zipped his lips and looked over to the rustling trees. Come on dude, this is Mairi you're talking to. Don't lower your guard too much.

"How about you? Do you have a pet?" Abel questioned back before she could do more of her antics. Seriously with her...

"Just a couple of fishes. My dad doesn't allow me to have any other pets, since... well...." Mairi's voice trailed off into the air as she was focused on the pavement in the distance. "Everyone's really busy with work."

Weird emphasis, but okay. He thought as the two climbed a flight of stairs. "But fishes make great pets. They're fascinating and colorful to watch. I never had them though, so I don't know much."

"Me neither." Abel blinked not only twice, but thrice at her nonchalant reply as she shrugged. "I had them for barely a week, but don't worry." She slammed her hand into her chest while wearing such an unmoved face. "I happened to learn pretty fast."

You acting like that makes me more worried. Also, I won't be flattered by your impersonation of me. His brow twitched before he let out a sigh. It blatantly sounded like she was forcing herself as well. He hastily shook his head and resumed trudging behind her.

"Also... this is our first time hanging out together. Just the two of us." Perhaps for her, it wasn't glaringly obvious. Why the need to point that out? It's not like it's anything special because that's what friends do.

Well, that was what she asserted.

"You should be grateful I joined you." He prompted. "That way, you won't be so alone."