The Legitimate Emperor

January 7, 2030

Beginteria City, Margraviate of Beginteria, Southern part of Crossnellyard Empire

Within the Crossnellyard Empire, Japan has established four diplomatic missions abroad. The first diplomatic mission was established in Zittold, the capital city of the Margraviate of Zittold, one of the first officially contacted local governments of the Crossnellyard Empire, and the second in Beginteria, the capital city of the Margraviate of Beginteria. The legations were established in these two cities, which served as footholds for contact with the capital government. Later, when formal diplomatic relations were established between the two countries and a Japanese embassy was set up in the capital, a consulate was established in Miket Tirith, the capital of the Miket Knighthood and the country's largest port city, for the purpose of protecting and supporting Japanese residents in this country.

Of the four consulates, two are still staffed today: the Japanese legation in Zittold and the Japanese legation in Beginteria. One of them, the Japanese minister in Beginteria, Tanosuke Aomatsu, was visiting Kanegis Vascular, the head of the Vascular family and the margrave who governs the region.

. . .

Vascular Family Mansion Parlor

Aomatsu and Kanegis were facing each other across the table, and Aomatsu was the first to speak.

"I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for ensuring our safety in this time of war. Yesterday... a picture was sent from the home country, and here it is."

After saying this, Aomatsu took out a piece of paper from the pocket of his gray suit and put it on the table. He turned it over to reveal a picture of two people who looked so real that one could almost mistake them for the real thing.

"This is a 'photograph,' a picture of a real scene. As I am sure you know..."

Kanegis nodded at Aomatsu's words. He knew about the pictures of scenery used in Japan, as they had been used by the medical team that had been working to eradicate the plague in this region. Photography and cameras have also been studied in this world. However, they were far from being put to practical use. But the principles of photography and cameras brought to Japan by their transference accelerated the progress of photography in this world, and now some countries have even developed blueprints.

"...This is!"

Kanegis looked shocked. The two people in the photo were people he knew well.

"It is a photograph of Crown Prince Jettis May Anglem and Crown Princess Levicca Hoelzerer Anglem. Both of them, who were in exile in the Shorteria-San Empire, recently made contact with us through their country's Foreign Ministry. This photograph was taken two days ago. From your point of view, are you sure it is them?"

At Aomatsu's question, Kanegis nodded, his body trembling.

"...Yes, I can't believe they're still alive!"

Aomatsu told him about the Japanese government's plan.

"In a few days, we will announce to the world from the Shorteria-San Empire that the Crown Prince and Princess are alive. This will probably split the country in two. But, Kanegis-dono... will you cooperate with us and Prince Jettis at that time?"

Aomatsu asked Kanegis with a somewhat agitated expression. His words, in which he referred to 'us' and the 'Crown Prince of Crossnellyard' side by side, strongly impressed Kanegis with the fact that Japan and Jettis are cooperating with each other.

"...I'll do whatever I can do to help!"

Aomatsu responded to Kanegis' passionate words with a smile. He then reported to his home country that he had succeeded in obtaining a commitment from Kanegis to support the government in exile that Jettis would establish with the backing of the Japanese government. On the same day, Michio Iinuma, minister to Zittold, also reported to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that he had received a similar assurance from Lochfell Foreimen, the Margrave of Zittold.