9.3 Rules of the Exam

Ayanokouji POV

A list of fundamental rules was written on the paper. More detailed descriptions of the rules and a list of prohibited items were also on the sheet, among other things. The terms were stricter than the rules for the test on the uninhabited island, with many more precautions. After the rules, I saw the four potential "outcomes": 

OUTCOME #1: If the answer submitted by the group after 9:30 p.m. on the final day is correct, then everyone in the group will receive private points, including those of the VIP's classmates who belong to the group. 

OUTCOME #2: If a group fails to submit an answer between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. on the final day, or if someone from the group other than the VIP and their classmates submits an incorrect answer, then the VIP will be awarded 500,000 private points. 

These seemed like rather eccentric rules. Since we hadn't received any deeper explanation, the mechanisms of the test seemed unclear. The Professor and Nino cocked their heads over and over, as if wracking their brains. Mashima-sensei, seeing their reaction, gave us a supplementary explanation in his flat, unchanging tone.

"This exam has one critical element. Understand it, and this test will not pose a problem. The key element is the existence of the VIP. There is only one VIP in the group. In this test, you're after the name of the VIP. It's that simple. For example, Yukimura, let's say that you were chosen as a VIP. The correct answer for the Rabbit group would be 'Yukimura.' That answer would be shared with all members of your group. 

Then, after the test concludes at 9:00 p.m. at the end of the third day, the school would accept answer submissions only between 9:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. During that time, each member of your group should enter the name 'Yukimura' in a message and email it to the school. Your group would pass, and we would confirm that you've met Outcome #1, and thus every member of your group would be awarded 500,000 points. In addition, as a reward for leading their group to achieve Outcome #1, the VIP would receive double that amount—1,000,000 points." 

"O-one million?! Whoa." 

"Wait, everyone receives 500,000 points? And if you're the VIP, you get double?"

That was such a heinous amount of points to receive that anyone, regardless of their regular class, would want it. Also, since the VIP would receive twice that amount, he or she would become so wealthy that they would jump straight to the top of the class, regardless of grade. 

"Now then, as for Outcome #2... In the event that the VIP's identity is not discovered before the end of the examination, and no one in your group found out the identity of the VIP or even attempted to lie about the identity, then only the VIP will be awarded points, just as it says. He or she will receive 500,000 points." 

Wait, was this even a valid test? Outcomes #1 and #2 were largely the same. In either case, the VIP would receive a large number of points. There was no benefit to Outcome #2 unless you wanted to prevent other classes from getting points. 

"Jeez, everyone's gonna be jealous of the VIP! Not being picked for it would be unfair! No matter what happens, that person still gets points! And if we get Outcome #1, it's a million points!"  Nino seemed like she wanted to be chosen as the VIP. That was natural, though. The VIP received special treatment. Was that the advantage of being the VIP? However, so far we'd heard only two of four outcomes. There might yet be some tricks that hadn't been revealed. "

"Sensei, what about Outcomes #3 and #4? We don't understand the conditions for those yet." 

"Did you understand the explanation for the first two? If you do not, then we cannot continue." "Of course, we understand. Please continue." After a short pause, Mashima-sensei went on.