Chapter Thirty-Three

Months had passed.

Many lonely months.

Loren sat by the large window, gazing out upon the town outside. Although she couldn't see much, considering the downpour of rain. It rained a lot, more than it normally did back in England. She wasn't used to it, but then again, she wasn't used to anything in France.

The woman was still iffy about her father, for she still couldn't understand how he could just allow his wife to kick out her Mother in such a fragile state, but he was proving himself to be a good man. 

But there was something about Nicolette, she couldn't pinpoint it. There was something off about her. Nicolette would always be there, for no reason. It was quite scary. Loren could be promenading on her own in the park, and Nicolette would always show up. It was just very strange, and Loren just did not like it.

Loren glanced at her desk, where an unfinished letter sat. It was her last letter she had attempted to write to Anthony. Her heart ached at the thought of him. She had sent so many letters, too many to count. And yet, she never received a response. She had written to Benedict as well, and Eloise, but still received nothing.

She didn't understand it. Were the Bridgerton's cutting her off? Were they happy that they were gone? Had they been wanting to be rid of her all along? She pushed the negative thoughts away. As she did, a knock echoed throughout the room. "Come in!" She called. The door was pushed open to reveal Alexandre. "Hello Loren." He greeted, closing the door behind him. "Hello." Loren replied, smoothing out her emerald frock. 

"How are you today?" "Fine." She said, keeping her statements short and simple. Alexandre sighed, "Okay, no more smalltalk, I have a surprise for you." He said, a smile plastered upon his wrinkled face. Loren sighed, tucking a stray curl behind her ear, "Alexandre, if you gift me with another horse, I don't know what I shall do." He chuckled softly, "It is not a horse, my dear. It is something much better."

This sparked her curiosity, "Oh? Well then, what is it?" She questioned. Alexandre sat beside her, "Well Loren, you're going back to England." The woman froze, shock enveloping her, she couldn't believe the words he had spoken. "W-What?" "Surprise!" he exclaimed. Loren still couldn't process this. "How?" She questioned. "I've recently been in contact with Violet Bridgerton, and she says they'd love to have you back."

This struck a nerve. Violet was communicating with Alexandre, but none of the siblings would respond to a single letter? What the fuck? She shook her head, knowing Violet would scold her if such words ever escaped her mouth. Alexandre's expression softened as he took in Loren's silence. "I thought you would be happy? Isn't this what you wanted?" 

"Oh yes! While I like being here with you, I much rather prefer to be back home." "Then why don't you look happy?" Loren sighed deeply, twiddling her thumbs. Alexandre recognized what was wrong immediately, "This is about Anthony, isn't it?" She nodded sadly. 

Alexandre placed a comforting hand upon her back, rubbing comforting circles, "I don't know what happened, dear. But I am sure you two will work it out." Loren nodded, "You're right. Everything will be fine." She said, mainly to herself, for she still needed convincing.

The older man rose from his seat, straightening his attire, "Start packing your trunk, we'll be leaving tomorrow morning." Loren nodded as he left the room. She still couldn't comprehend it, she was returning to England. And in mere hours, she'd be forced to confront the love of her life, and learn the reason for the lack of responses that send her spiraling.

She couldn't wait. 

-*-*-*-

Short chapter! But next chapter, we get the Anthoren/Lorenthony reunionnnn

#drama

Thank you for reading, and please comment your thoughts!

-Av-